Chapter one

I was running late and it was very clear that i was going to lose my job. I was the secretary for one of the hottest music artists out right now. Jontavion is a singer, dancer and song writer who has had four hits all go platinum in under four weeks. He's really keen with tardiness and this was going to be my third time being late this week. As i look up at the giant building i call my work space i feel nervous. I quickly race inside and scurry into the lobby area. I look around for Jontavion and i see him walking inside the first door to my left. I rush in behind him barley making it before he turns to shut the door. He smiles, "On time today I see." He looks at my hair and tsks. "Your hair is a little disheveled Ms. Parker." I feel my face flush with embarrassment and quietly excuse myself.

I head towards the bathroom and pass a few of Jontavion's friends along the way. "Hey Cuba." one of them calls out to me. I smile and wave back before i round the corner and rush into the bathroom. I look in the mirror and see a red face looking back at me. I grab my carry along spray bottle, my brush and a ponytail holder out of my purse. I mumble to myself as i try to get this mop of curls into a decent ponytail. "Damn these curls!" i half shout at the mirror. I tighten up my ponytail and touch of my make up which consists of mascara, blush and lip gloss. I leave the bathroom with a new found confidence and walk back to the recording room. I open the door quietly and see Jontavion leaning against the speakers talking to DJ.

I clear my throat and all the attention turns to me. I jump right into business as usual. "Alright Jontavion, how does today look in your head? You still have that meeting you cancelled last week because of your physco girlfriend. Chris called and said you two have a session today and your mom wants to know why you haven't been over for lunch at her new place yet." I say the last part with a smile because his mom is the sweetest. She used to bring cookies and all kinds of baked goods when she would visit.
I sit on the arm of the couch and watch him as he bobs his head to the music playing softly out of the speakers. "Call the label and tell them i can do a 2'oclock today and then let brown know our session will have to be pushed back a hour." I nod and walk towards the door. I turn before i leave out because i feel somebody staring at me, I make eye contact with DJ and smile at him before closing the door. As I'm walking towards the lobby I'm stopped by Gibbs, one of Jontavion's friends.
"What is it now Gibbs?" i ask before looking up from my phone. "Come on Cuba when you gone let me take you out?" I place my hand on my hip ready to dish out attitude. "Gibbs, man leave her alone. She don't want you." Mikey says while walking up behind me. "How would you know? You always bagging on me and never giving her a chance to answer for herself." I look down as a smile threatens to take over but i control myself. "Because I don't want you Gibbs. You should listen to Mikey more often." As i walk away from them i can hear Mikey picking on Gibbs.

When i reach the lobby i pull out my phone and call the record label. I dial the number to the label who's been calling about Jontavion for a little over two months. He only recently wanted to sign with somebody because he was very content on coming up by himself. "Hot Money Records, how may i help you?" I smile even though nobody could see me. "Yes, this is Cuba Parker. I'm calling in regards to the meeting Mr. Dun wanted to set up with Jontavion. He says he's free at two today, is that good for Mr. Dun?" As i wait for her response i hear the clack of heels and look up to see Katrina. Before she has a chance to speak I hold my hand up and signal that I'm on the phone. "Yes Ms. Parker two works great. We'll see you then." "Great thank you." I hang up the phone and look at Katrina.

"Yes?" she makes a show of flipping her blonde hair and rolling her eyes before speaking. "Wheres Jontavion?" she huffs. I sigh and roll my eyes, "He's recording right now. Can i take a message?" "He never has time for me anymore." I pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh. "look Katrina, I personally don't care about the problems you guys have in your relationship right now. Go take that up with him please. I have things i have to get done." Then I walk away from her so I can go finish what I'm getting paid to do.