Chapter 8 - The Rapture

"I-I, uh," Sam said letting me go. "I'm so sorry I don't know wha-"

He was interrupted by a door slamming shut. It was my dad, be wasn't supposed to be back for another 2 hours, I'm sure of it.

"Shit!" I whispered and jumped away from him. "What's the time?"

"About 4." He whispered back. "Why?"

"My dad's back...early," I said panicking, if my dad saw him here he would kill him. He's still not comfortable with guys in the house especially after what happened with Quinn. "Hide!"

"Effie?" My dad shouted. "Are you here?"

He didn't have enough time to leave the living room. He had to roll under the couch and hide.

"Yeah," I said cleaning up some of the stuff and throwing him his jacket. "I'm in the living room."

"Oh there you are," He said walking in. "Did you do the chores?"

"Yeah..." I said handing him the list. "Everything apart from "vaccum the driveway"?"

"I don't remember writing that." He mumbled. "Sweety, we need to talk."

"Uh," I said thinking about the fact Sam was under the couch. "Uh, yeah, sure. Can we go into-"

"Sit down," He said sighing.

I sat down on the couch that Sam was under. I felt something tickle my foot and instantly jumped back up. My dad looked at me and I just shook my head and sat back down making sure to kick Sam's hand out the way.

"So, you know I have a...well a drinking problem." I nodded. "Well, I decided I needed to get help."

"Is that why you're home early?" He nodded back. "I'm really proud of you for seeking help, dad. It's not easy."

"Thanks," He said. His face didn't soften, not even once. He looked full or regret and guilt. "There's no easy way of putting this, but, I need to go away for a while."

"What?" I said looking up and meeting his eyes. "Rehab?"

"I suppose you could call it that." He said avoiding my eyes.

"How long?" I asked him. "Where am I going to stay?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "Maybe a few months at most."

"A few months?" I mumbled in disbelief. "Where will I stay?"

"That's something we can sort out over dinner tonight." He said standing up. "Dinner will be at 6. Wear something nice as we are going for a meal."

And with that, he walked away presumably into his room. I watched him and let my head fall from the palm of my heands. I really am proud of my dad for having enough courage to do this, but where am I going to go?

What I need to do just now is support him. Show him that I am here for him, make sure he is my first responsibility. I will deal with my problems later, I need to make sure he will be fine.

"Is the coast clear?" A voice from under the couch asked. "Can I come out?"

"Yeah," I mumbled lost in thought. "Sure."

He crawled out from under the couch and sat down beside me taking my hand. He looked at me but I didn't dare look back.

"I think it's time you left," I said sighing. "I'll be fine, I just need some time alone to process this."

"Are you sure?" He asked making me nod. "I can stay if you want, I don't want you being alone."

"I'm fine." I said nodding and standing up. "Thank you for everything, it's great to know that you're here for me."