Part 23 In The Wood

The Wood was far from empty and quiet as he drifted into reverie that evening. He felt life buzzing and thriving all around him as the moonlight drifted through the canopy to fall to surround him. He felt its comforting warmth on his skin and in his bones. It was beautiful and sweet. He was surrounded by and wrapped in, peace and harmony. He felt like he belonged to the forest, to the trees. He felt every life as it moved closer. Every bit of energy that flowed through The Wood also flowed through him. It was new and exciting and threatened to knock him right out of reverie. Katana wasn't only near; she was leaning against him as he leaned back against the tree. He felt her warm body as it pressed back against his. He was safe and warm cradled in the strong embrace of the forest around him as he took his rest with Katana securely in his arms.

It was far from unusual for them to seek safety and security in each other's arms as they traveled through The Wood or slept in their cave. They were safe from harm. They would alert and 'wake' the moment something was amiss. He could easily touch and tap into the energy of The Wood. That was the way reverie worked. But he still struggled with reverie. He was able to fall deeper into it and receive more from it if Katana was near to help ground him. He gained even more from reverie if she was touching him and he could feel her energy directly. The discovery shocked them both. So, every few nights as they traveled in the safety of The Wood, he would take his reverie leaning back against the trunk of an ancient tree and Katana would sit and lean against him.

Something in the distance caused the energy around them to shift. Their eyes shot open their hands already on the hilts of their weapons. They were on their feet crouched and scanning the immediate area for danger immediately. The mysterious presence was back, and it was much, much closer to them than either of them cared for. Katana's hands flashed in the moonlight as her sharp eyes settled on a shifting shadow deep within the moonlight's light more than a bow's range away. It was a change in the temperature of the air near a tree vaguely shaped like an elf or a small human. Avriel, limited by the nature of being a human, was unable to see what Katana was talking about until it moved and started to sprint away. "Be careful and wary of arrows. Search The Wood for others as a warrior would. Follow. I would know what being watches us as we rest." Katana led the way and the chase was on. The energy felt familiar to Katana, but she had to be certain.

When Katana moved, Avriel moved. They were caught in a never-ending flow of energy and movement; a dance beautiful and smooth under the warm moonlight as it filtered down through the trees. As they moved effortlessly through the dense canopy of the Faerunwood he was the light to her shadow and she the shadow to his light. His heart was unburdened despite the nature of their quest and hers was filled with happiness and joy for the first time in her long life. Kotas was running through the trees with her chasing what she hoped was a friend rather than a foe. When they ran as they were, they were free; free of burdens, cares, worries, and woes. They just moved, danced and floated over and through the heavy branches of the trees as light as the breeze and as easily as it moves over the plains. Grace and Beauty enfolded them in their embrace and surrounded them as they graced the trees with their passage.

Theirs was a silent passing as they rushed without rushing and moved without effort toward their target, chasing a shadow. They did not know where they were going, only that they were going somewhere guided gently by the call of The Wood, a soft sound on the breeze as it danced over their skin and the gentle light of the moon high above the trees. Avriel didn't question, didn't wonder, didn't waver. He just followed Katana with his heart as his feet carried him blindly from one thick branch to the next.

They danced and flitted and moved through the trees. Katana kept the shadow figure in her sights as she moved. It was clear that whoever owned that shadow was not trying to get away from them. It felt more like it was leading them somewhere. Katana didn't quite trust that it was not leading them into some kind of a trap. Perhaps it was. She followed with caution.