Part 42 Freedom

They rested well and woke before the morning sun and went in search of the caravan. When they found it they sat and watched it for a short while before they realized that the guards were not preparing the caravan to depart. They were celebrating because they would be remaining in the city for one more day and that meant once they were relieved of their duties they could go and get their fill of whatever it was that the city had to offer. One was particularly interested in a good mug of ale. The other something else entirely. Avriel turned his nose up at the thought and signed, "Why would anyone pay for that?"

Katana just shook her head and smiled at his innocence. "Another time Kotas." They went back to watching the caravan guards. They needed to get down to talk to Lilly and Hope and to check on Othello who was with them. As they watched both Donocain and the healer relieved the guards. Katana's back stiffened at the sight of them. "Did they hurt you?"

"No. That one healed me and talked to me. They both did, but I only talked to the healer."

"You talked to him?"

"Yes. I was not nice to him. I just talked to him."

"Oh. Why?"

"Later, Kotas. Look at them." They were looking around looking for, he did not know who or what. Once they were satisfied that they were not being watched they took out food and water and started feeding the prisoners. Avriel had a feeling that was not normal at all. They watched them a little longer. They stood in the open and looked around as if they were looking for some sign.

"She has to be here. There are no reports of her leaving the city."

"There would not be. No one would have noticed."

"Who was that dark-haired man that came for her?"

"I do not know. I'm just grateful he got there in time to save her from those horrible people."

"Some people helped them." The surprise was there in the healer's eyes and voice. "I am shocked that anyone would have helped but then I am not. I am happy he arrived in time too. I want to know who he is, don't you?"

"Yes, of course."

"What are we going to do Donocain? Can we not find other work? I can't keep doing this. The things that bastard does. It just gets worse and worse."

"I don't know. You're a healer. It shouldn't be hard for you. I have a feeling this is all about to end."

"What makes you say that?"

"I don't know. It's just a feeling." Donocain looked around. Though his eyes landed on Avriel and Katana he was unable to see them.

Avriel looked very closely at the healer. He was there the night before. Donocain hushed the merchant that was calling for the guard and both of them distracted the guard so that Avriel and Katana could get away. Avriel smiled at Katana. "Stay here. Notch two arrows. You will not need them. When I move into position, make sure you are seen."

Katana was concerned but she trusted Avriel. He moved off and out of her sight. When she saw him again, he was walking toward Donocain and the healer. He must have just appeared in front of them out of the shadows because they startled and freed their weapons from their sheathes. She could see Avriel quite clearly. He was ready to draw his weapons long before they freed theirs from their sheaths "I would not be doing that." Avriel's hands were always dangerously close to the hilts of his weapons. He looked from Donocain to the healer and back while shaking his head. "Time to put those away. You both helped me yesterday. I would like to know why?"

"Is she okay?"

"You do not get to ask the questions here. I will kill you on the spot." Avriel lied. She stood on her rooftop with her arrows notched and looked down on them. There was a good chance he was not lying to them. His back was to her, but his tone was one she had never heard him use before. They looked up to see Katana standing.