17b Confessions Of a Mad Prince II

Avriel felt her as she moved closer to him. She didn't make a sound as she moved over the uneven ground at the opening of the cave they shared, but he knew she was there and it wasn't just his mind wanting her near and imagining it. He didn't speak. He barely moved but he moved just enough to tell her that he knew she was there. She walked to his side and sat next to him. He opened his eyes as she draped a heavy fur over his shoulders. The air had picked up a chill, but he hadn't noticed as he tried once again to achieve internal balance. "Any luck?" Her voice was soft and warm, full of kindness and genuine concern. Her silver eyes reflected the moonlight as they shone at him. She wore a soft simple questioning and hopeful smile as she pulled another fur over her own delicate shoulders. She had pulled all of her hair up with a tie but some of it had escaped the tie and carelessly hung down upon her shoulders after framing her face and shifting behind her pointed ears. He stared hopelessly for a lot longer than he should have, his eyes shifting to follow hers and Vise-Versa. "No?"

"No. I can't do this Katana."

"I do not believe you, Kotas. I know--"

"It is no use! I cannot! I have been trying. Humans can't do it. We just can't!" He didn't mean to raise his voice above a whisper. He did as he glowered.

"You can. Avriel!" She took his young face in her delicate hands. "You can and you will."

Her hands were soft where they touched his skin. "Katana," He covered her hands with his and started to pull them from his face. "Why do you touch me like that?"

Katana was taken aback by his question. She pulled her hands from his and suddenly became very uncomfortable under his greenish-brown gaze as she placed her hands in her lap. "Does it anger you?"

"No."

"Does it hurt you?"

His face scrunched as he cocked his head to the side. "No," A small laugh escaped him, "Why would you think that it hurts me?"

"You have hair on your face."

She suddenly looked so small to him. She was much smaller than he was. His laughter filled the night between them. "Oh, Katana. You are just so precious. Here." He took her hands from her lap and placed them on his face. "It does not hurt me. Does it hurt you if I touch your hair?" He reached up and touched her hair. He avoided touching her ears.

"No."

"It is the same."

"The hair on your face is different. It feels different from the hair on your head or your arms. You have hair everywhere."

His cheeks turned red. She was not supposed to know that. He hoped he would never have to explain to anyone how she did and why. It was very complicated. He pushed it aside. "Yes, but it does not hurt unless you pull it. That would hurt my head."

"It would hurt mine."

They took their hands off each other and just sat quiet and still for a moment staring and trying not to think.

"We should go inside."

"That we should, Kotas. I have prepared a meal. We can try again afterward."

"Okay." They moved as one, each standing gracefully and turning then retreating to the warmth and safety of their cave.

Once they were inside, they sat by the fire and ate their meal in relative silence. With their dishes washed and the living space cleaned up, they prepared to train. "Should we spar for a while first? I don't feel the least bit tired."

"I do not believe that it is necessary for reverie for you to be tired. You need to be relaxed and your mind needs to be clear of all things so that you can align it with your body. You have to find a balance within yourself. Reverie can only come from that balance.