Chapter 29 The Run

FLASHBACK CONTINUED FROM CHAPTER 27 CONT.SHAWNS POV

I shut mom out and just kept running.

Yeah sure call it a cliche that I was mocking Forrest Gump or Rocky but you know what..

"Screw it!" I screamed between pants of breath and faltering steps.

"Screw him! Screw them all!" I couldn't hold it back but I couldn't scream and keep a pace so I struggled to shut them out of my head and just kept on running. I passed Daemons house and felt my feet coming to a stop just on his driveway. I turned up the driveway still running and grabbed one of his hockey sticks leaning against the net against the garage.

"It's all your fault!" I wound up the stick in my hands and began to swing at his garage. The stick dented the door in sync to the pounding of my heart as I felt my insides start to churn with every emotion mixed together.

"It wasn't me!" Bang. "It was you! All of it!" Bang.

My hands began to shake and my knees slowly buckled as the stick fell and I stumbled to stand. But I didn't fall. I looked up at the house next to me and saw the curtains slightly drawn and a woman was looking down at me with a phone to her ear. She was calling the cops.

So what's the smart thing to do?

I don't know cos I just took of running again, but before I left I caught a glimpse of the dented garage door and smiled to myself as my legs picked up a faster pace. The lady was gone now from the window and I heard a door slam as I sprinted around the corner of the street and onto the main road.

"Young man!" I heard her call. But I kept running.

Minutes past and I felt the sweat dripping down my face and rolling of my cheeks, taking the place of tears that would never fall.

I turned down the boulevard road and zig zagged between the steady traffic until I was on the narrow boulevard, dodging the trees they were growing down the middle to prevent people from doing exactly what I was: Running.

Horns blared at me as I began to reach the ledge.

"Kid get off!" Someone screamed at me but I kept running.

Finally I got to the end and let my feet leave the ground as I dropped down onto the ledge between the overpasses.

Suddenly, the horns stopped. The world stopped. And it was just me and my emotions. I leaned against the concrete barrier and pulled my knees against my chest and ran my hands through my hair like I always do when I'm panicking.

"I have to go Toronto." I said to no one in particular.

He'll kill me.

Both of them.

So I settled it with myself. I was leaving not because I thought it was a good idea, but to get away from them both. They had both ruined me and had no one to blame but themselves.

That's what hurt most of all as the sirens sounded above me and car doors slammed. I heard my mom crying and Aaliyah calling my name on the boulevard, accompanied by the reassuring tones of a police officer.

Dad wasn't there, but then again. He never was.

So I let hem drag me up and back onto the grass and the world slowly went dark all around me.

SORRY ITS SO SHORT GUYS BUT IM PRETTY BUSY LATELY BUT TYASM SO ALMOST 20K READS ❤️ REMEMBER TO COMMENT VOTE AND FOLLOW MY INSTAGRAM, @vogue.mendes