Chapter 2

Aisha's POV

I slipped into a long sleeve black sweatshirt and grey sweat pants, just to hide my scars. I went ahead to add a bit of foundation to cover the bruises on my face and the finger traces on my neck. In no time I was looking great, at least on the outside. I added a bit of lip balm to keep my lips moist. After being satisfied with my look, I went out of the room to join my sister and Emeka.

I descended the stairs and found them at the dining table, eating a breakfast of Yam and Egg sauce with a cup of tea, probably prepared by Emeka since the workers had the weekend off. Emeka never enters the kitchen even though he knows how to cook. He only does that when he wants to impress.

They were chatting about God knows what. I took a deep breath and let out the best smile I could muster. This was not new to me. This has been the story of my life for the past two years. Fake it till you believe it, right?

"Hey baby sis!!!" I chirped in excitement. Zaria looked up and almost screamed my ears off. She wrapped her hands around me in a tight hug. I felt a very sharp pain in my ribs but I had to endure it. I couldn't give anything away.

"Aisha! It's been long o." Zaria finally let me go and I could breath properly. I caught sight of Emeka trying to access me, probably to see if I covered up well. I almost rolled my eyes.

He isn't even giving me enough credit. I have been doing this for two years now, and counting.

"That's very rich coming from you. You just abandoned me like that." I feigned annoyance and disappointment.

"No na. It's not like that. You know how school can be. Food Science and Technology is not as easy as it sounds." Zaria replied, going to back to sit down.

"I hear you. It's only when you need something that you will remember me. For your information, I don't have money to give you." I said and Emeka burst into laughter when Zaria flashed me a glare.

"Haba! What do you take me for? I cannot visit my sister again. You are not giving me enough credit at all." Zaria scowled and went back to eating her food.

"Wait sef. Where is my food?" I asked both of them. Emeka and Zaria exchanged glances and went back to eat their food. I could see they were trying to suppress their laughter.

"You people should answer me o." I placed my hand akimbo on my tiny waist and rested my weight on my left leg.

"Ehn...you see. The thing is that..." Zaria started.

"We thought you would be too tired..." Emeka continued.

"Tired? From what?!" I asked incredulously.

"From the activities of last night." Zaria burst into laughter and I remembered what Emeka told her when I was in the bathroom. I widened my eyes and opened my mouth to talk but nothing came out of it.

"Are you... Are you seriously saying you didn't cook for me?" I asked after I found my voice. They still continued to laugh. To make matters worse, my tummy grumbled, adding to my embarrassment. Zaria's laughter increased.

Emeka must have sensed my discomfort because he stood up and came to me. I folded my hands across my chest and pouted like a child.

"Hey baby. Don't mind us. We were only joking." He placed his hands on either side of my arm.

"You know I don't play with my tummy na." I muttered.

"We were just joking jhoor. We definitely cooked for you." Zaria added. I looked at Emeka and he smiled at me. He then came me a small kiss on my cheeks