Chapter 9.

Hakeem's POV

Since that Friday, I have been worried about Aisha since her fiancé practically dragged her out of the restaurant. As much as they tried to put up that perfect couple facade, I could see past it. I saw the threat in Emeka's eyes as much as I saw the fear in Aisha's eyes. She was scared of her own fiancé.

Why?

"What are you thinking about?" Lola asked me as she sashayed into my office, looking elegant in a black bodycon dress and white stilettos, her human hair weave sweeping daintily against her shoulder.

Yes, my cousin is a spec.

"What gives you the impression that I'm thinking about something?" Then I realized she had walked into my office just like that. "And why didn't you knock?" I asked her, my voice slightly chiding and she rolled her eyes at me.

"I knocked more than five times and you didn't answer. That's the answer to your first question. You didn't even hear me knock." She replied and I grimaced when she let herself settle in one of my chairs.

"Remove that scowl from your face. It doesn't fit you." She said sassily and I intentionally scowled even deeper. My mind immediately went back to what I was thinking about before this pest entered my office.

"Lola, is Aisha around?" I asked immediately, leaning forward. Lola looked at me skeptically.

"Why are you asking?" She asked me and I rolled my eyes.

"Just talk. Is she around?" I asked, trying not to sound impatient.

"No, she's not." Lola answered and I frowned. "Before you think of any punishment to give her, she called in sick." She quickly added and my frown deepened.

"She called in sick? She was fine on Friday..." My voice was starting to rise.

"Hakeem, calm down." Lola chided and I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "There are two days between Friday and today, anything could have happened." Lola paused and I knew she wanted to keep talking so I didn't say anything, my mind in turmoil.

"She did sound sick over the phone though." Lola started again and I paid clear attention to what she was about to say. "Her voice was quite hoarse like someone that has cried so much and when I asked her about it she said it was sore throat." Lola said absentmindedly, not paying any attention to the details that just left her mouth.

But I was paying attention to every single one of them.

The tiniest bit of them.

...hoarse voice like she has been crying...

...like she has been crying...

What if...

No! I refuse to believe it!

But...

"Malaria is a bastard. I really feel bad for her though." Lola continued absentmindedly and I rolled my eyes at her clueless ness. "But she said she would be back in two days, so don't get your panties in a twist." Lola teased with a smirk and I scoffed in reply.

"And please don't punish her." Lola added as an afterthought and I scoffed again.

"You are too clueless for your liking." I muttered but she heard me anyway.

"I don't understand what you mean and I don't care." She stated nonchalantly and stood up to leave.

"You still haven't told me why you actually came to my office." I reminded her and her lips formed into an o shape in remembrance.