Chapter 29

Hakeem's POV

Aisha had broken down immediately she heard the news about Emeka's death. Apparently, Emeka had stolen a gun from one of the officers and he shot himself in the head. The warden revealed to me that they just heard a gun shot go off and by the time they got to the scene, Emeka was lying dead in the pool of his own blood.

Aisha had broken down and was feeling guilty because she didn't forgive him before he died and I understood her pain. She revealed that he had told her that if she doesn't forgive him he would kill himself and that his response was that he should 'go to hell' but she only said it because she was angry, she didn't mean it literally. I had to take her to her parents house since that was where she was staying.

But it's been a whole week since I last saw her.  Her parents said she wants to be left alone and I understood that, I totally did but I was really worried that she would hurt herself. I didn't want anything to happen to her.

I was back to the firm and everything was working out smoothly. I was still thinking about Aisha when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I called in and Mandela came in, looking nervous as hell.

"Sir..." He paused, visibly fidgeting and that made me frown.

"What is it, Mandela? I don't have all day." I growled at him but before he could speak, the door behind him opened and I was shocked at who I saw, standing up automatically.

Danladi Danjuma Gobir

"Father." I muttered and me smiled at me before looking at a nervous Mandela.

"Thank you boy. I'll take it from here." He said and Mandela nodded briskly before finding his way outside. Now I knew why he was all nervous.

"What are you doing here?" I asked immediately the door was close. Danladi Gobir has not been seen outside since he handed the firm over to me. Most lawyers here have only heard about him but has never seen him in person. For him to come to the firm for the first time in years, it must be something important that brought him.

"What? I can't visit my son again?" He sat down on the Sofa by the window of my office.

"That's not what I'm saying. I'm just surprised is all. You haven't been to this firm in years. Whatever brought you must be something important." I stood from my chair to stand in front of him. He looked at me and smile.

"Come sit beside me, son. We need to talk." Danladi motioned to me and I cocked an eye brow before I sat down.

"Don't tell me you came all the way to this place to 'talk'. You could have easily sent for me." I told him and he shook his head slowly.

"Me coming here is the one way I can show to you how serious I am." He replied and I sighed,  sitting up.

"Pardon me, Do you want anything to drink? Coffee, tea, fruit juice, wine? I can ask Mandela to get you anyone you'd like..." I trailed off when he patted my thigh.

"Why not leave the drinks till we are done? We will drink later." Danladi replied.

This must be so serious.

"Okay. What do you want to talk about?" I asked. My father sighed running his hand across his face, a gesture I recognize pretty well. He was nervous.

"You deserve to know everything about what happened with your mother." He deadpanned and I frowned.

"Everything? That means you kept some things from me." I said, trying to calm down.

"Yes and I'm not going to justify anything because there is nothing to justify the fact that I chose work over my family but that wasn't the only reason I drifted away from your mother." He replied and I exhaled, tight lipped.