Chapter 7

Aisha's POV

The day for the final hearing came. I fought for my client and we won finally. The real killer, after so much evidences pointed to the victim's younger brother, like we had predicted and he was sentenced to death by hanging.

It was very complicated but it turned out that he had a canal feeling towards his brother's wife who was by the way, older than him and when she threatened the victim, he felt that if he carried out her claim, she would love him and they would live happily ever.

That was another level of mental illness.

Everyone congratulated me for a job well done and for acing my very first criminal case as soon as we got back to the firm. I was back in my office, pulling off the black robe and wig before placing them in their corners. A knock came to my door and before I could respond, Lola walked in, all cheery and perky as always.

"Congratulations girl. This calls for celebration." Lola chirped excitedly as she hugged me and I laughed.

"Celebration?" I quirked my eyebrow at her in question and she nodded, leaning against my desk .

"Yeah. I was just thinking we would go out and have a few drinks or something. You know, this is your first criminal case. It's worth celebrating." She replied.  I corked my head left and right in thought. Going out for a drink with my friend seemed like a good idea, especially when it was the weekend.

But...

"As much as I would love to actually go out and celebrate, I might have to take a rain check on that one." I smiled apologetically and she frowned.

"Why? It's not like you have anything doing." Lola said.

"Well, I actually do. I have this thing planned with my Fiance." I didn't want to go into details about what I had planned. Every Friday night was basically the only time Emeka and I were chanced to go out as a couple.

"Uhhh!!! Damn your Fiance." She whined in disapproval and I chuckled. "But just in case you change your mind, just know that I am one call away." Lola replied and hugged me.

"Of course. I'll definitely do that." I replied her and she left my office. I took a deep breath and sat back on my chair, firing up a quick prayer of thanksgiving to God for winning the case. I picked up my phone to check my messages and missed phone calls.

"I underestimated you." A voice interrupted me and I looked up to see Hakeem standing by door, arms crossed against his chest.

How long as he been standing there?

"Excuse me?" I had to ask because I was confused as to what he meant. He let himself into my office and used his hands to rest against one of the chairs. I tried not to focus on the way his muscles flexed.

"The case." He simply said and I kept looking at him, hoping he'd give me more clarification. And he did. "I didn't think you'd be able to handle the case." He added and I frowned, finding his words incredibly offensive.

"Why then did you give me the case to handle?" I asked him, my voice involuntarily going up a notch. "Was is just a test for you to see if I was actually worthy to be in your firm?!" I snapped and he rose his hands in a mock surrender.

"Technically, Jimmy talked me into giving you the case..." I interrupted him with a scoff.

"And here I was thinking you were actually here to apologize to me." I muttered, folding my hand across my chest.

"I am!" He said defensively and I rose my eyebrows in question. He sighed. "I'm sorry. You deserve way better than I'm treating you. I apologize." He said softly, not breaking any eye contact. His gaze was intense and I felt my lips become dry. I darted my tongue out to moisten it.