Be My (Fake) Girlfriend

"Y/n!" you turn around to see Gilbert running up to you.

Gilbert is your best friend, you started talking a few months ago and grew really close. you'd always walk to school together or hang out after school. only the girls didn't know. they'd seen you talk to Gilbert, but they didn't know you were friends.

"hey Gil!" you smiled at him before linking your arm through his. you started chatting while walking towards the schoolhouse.

"Ruby is constantly trying to get my attention." Gilbert said chuckling.

"that's because she has a crush on you!" you said nudging his side.

"I know, but I don't like her... and she's the reason we can't be friends in school." Gilbert said.

"maybe you should give her a chance she's really sweet" you said looking up at Gilbert.

"not gonna happen. she's... not my type" he said, causing you to groan.

"then who is your type?" you asked.

Gilbert frowned. "I don't know... I just don't like anyone at the moment" he said.

"god you're so boring" you said playfully rolling your eyes.

"oh please you don't like anyone either" Gilbert said chuckling.

"well that's because all the boys are boring and immature" you say chuckling as well.

"except me" Gilbert with a small smirk.

you nudged his side rolling your eyes again. "true enough" you said.

suddenly you hear chatter from behind you. you widen your eyes.

"someone's coming" you said as you started to walk faster, dragging Gilbert along with you.

Gilbert groaned. "oh come on Y/n! it's just walking it's no big deal" he said as you dragged him along.

"it is to them!" you said. "I don't wanna get slapped" you added causing Gilbert to chuckle.

"and all this because I'm so dreamy" Gilbert said.

you nudged his side once again. "all of this because Ruby thinks you're dreamy. you're not" you said causing Gilbert to gasp.

"I'm hurt" he said causing you to roll your eyes.

"shut up"

you approached the schoolhouse and let go of Gilbert's arm. he waited a few seconds while you walked towards your friends. you hated not being able to talk to Gilbert in school.

you walked up to your friends with a smile on your face. "morning!" you said as you stood beside Jane and Tillie.

"morning" a few girls said before continuing their conversation.

"I feel like Gilbert's avoiding me" Ruby said. "but it's probably because he's nervous" Ruby giggled and you tried not to laugh.

"maybe you should make the first move" Anne said causing a few girls to gasp.

"a boy always makes the first move, Anne, everyone knows that!" Josie said.

"but why? if Gilbert really is nervous like Ruby said he wont ask her out" Anne said and you nodded.

"I think it's totally fine for a girl to make the first move" you said looking at Ruby.

you wanted to tell her to just forget about Gilbert, because he doesn't like her, but then she'd know you were friends with him.