08

-Real Friends by Camilla Cabello featuring Swae Lee-

Already, they had been through a lot since leaving Massachusettes. So, Mark thought it would be a good idea for them to get out and do something. After talking to some people who worked at the state park, he found out that there was a trail that led to Jericho Falls, a waterfall.

The park was mostly known for its ATV trail. So, not many people knew about the waterfall or where how to find it.

Like Mark figured, it took some time to convince Denise to go. She made it clear that she was not into walking for long periods of time, but she also realized, lying around in a van with only her thoughts probably wasn't a good idea either.

So, she got dressed, they packed some things food and water that they might need and headed it on their way.

An hour in and neither of them had said a word.

Mark wanted to start a conversation, but he didn't know how to. Nine times out of ten, anything he said would result in a feisty reply, a one-word answer, or an insulting comment.

He didn't know how to approach Denise, but he was not going to make it if the whole way to the waterfall was quiet.

Mark clears his throat, and to his surprise, Denise speaks up.

"So, you should know that I don't plan on staying with you permanently. I just needed a ride out of Massachusettes. Once we hit a town that I don't mind starting over in, we part ways."

Though that wasn't her intention, the news hurt Mark a little bit. Not because he had expected them to be together forever, but because he had just told her he was an ex-con last night.

"It's not because you went to prison," she assured him, kicking the dirt as she spoke. "I just . . . I don't know. I can't really see my life on the road forever. I can't see my life anywhere if I'm honest. I just feel like I gotta start over someplace where nobody knows my name."

Denise looks up at him, "you understand, right?"

"Yeah, yeah," Mark nods. "I mean, now that I think about it, I should probably find a place to stay too. I don't think I want to travel for the rest of my life. I guess I gotta see how this goes first."

"Yeah," she replied softly, looking up at the tall trees that covered both sides of the trail. The forest wasn't dense, so they could see the small animals bouncing and crawling around.

"So," Mark spoke before the silence could go on too long, "until you find where you want to stay, we should probably make some rules."

"Rules?" Denise scoffed, "what are we ten?"

"Are you just gonna pretend like Nate didn't happen?"

"Oh my god," she rolled her eyes and started walking faster. "I knew you weren't going to let it go."

"Denise," Mark walked after her.

"I get it, I fucked up, it's my fault. I don't need you to tell me that, alright?"

"Denise -"

"You should probably know," she turned to face him, "I fuck up a lot, its kind of a reoccurring thing for me. It's pretty much a personality trait. So, if you think being on my ass twenty-four seven is going to fix me, you're out of luck. You mind as well give back your hero badge and retire because there's no point -"

"It's not about you being a fuck up!" Mark raised his voice, interrupting her. "It doesn't matter that you were drunk; what Nate did is still fucked up. Could you have been more responsible and not get drunk with a guy you don't know? Yes. But that doesn't make what he did right either."