33

-Main Attraction by Jeremy Renner-

The Gateway Park Fun Center was the best place to take a kid, especially in the middle of a school week. There was barely anyone there, making it, so the lines either short or nonexistent. The establishment had plenty of activities.

Like miniature golf, go-karts, batting cage, human maze, and inline hockey.

Mark and Denise took turns watching Violet as they ran around with the kids, doing different activities. A nap proved to be all that the two-year-old needed, considering she wasn't giving them the attitude that nearly sent Samantha crazy.

Soon, they had done everything, and everyone was hungry.

So they found a table, ordered pizza got some ice cream, and gave the kids a bunch of coins to play some arcade games under one rule that they stayed together and tried to keep in eye view.

All tired out from the busyness, Violet freely fell asleep on Denise's chest, her sugar high not lasting as long as her sister and cousins.

They were really good kids and brought Mark and Denise a lot of joy.

"So," Mark started a conversation as Denise held one arm around Violet and sipped the rest of her sprite down with the other. "Remember when I told you I went to see my mother at work?"

"Yeah," she nodded, putting the cup down and sitting back. "You had lunch with her, right? Did it go well?"

"Yeah," Mark nodded, though his eyes said otherwise. "We ended up talking about Brianna. I stopped by her grave before going to my mom."

"How was it?"

"Eye-opening," Mark scoffed a bit. "I don't know why I went, now that I think about it. Closure, I guess? I don't know."

Denise stayed quiet, listening.

"All I know is, D, I just, I broke down. All these years, I thought I had let out all go, and all of a sudden, I was mourning like she died yesterday."

Denise nodded understandingly, "you always think you've let go until you come face to face with those who hurt you or your trauma."

It's why she could never give him a real concrete answer if she had forgiven or could forgive her father. It was easier to say yes when she hadn't seen him in years and probably wouldn't for all she knew.

"It gets worse," Mark shook his head in disbelief. "I'm just wailing, and I suddenly feel this rage - this - this resentment and hatred for her parents that I didn't even know that I had. I was pissed at her mother for not speaking up and her father for not taking up for what he did. Even after what's happened, I never as much wished them ill or harm, but at that moment. All the years I was I locked up, I just . . ."

Mark didn't have to say. Denise related all too well. Hate, resentment, bitterness used to be her best friend.

It was what once fueled her bad decisions and crappy attitude.

It was something natural for her at one point in her life.

But for someone like Mark.

Someone who wasn't one to look back if he didn't have to. One who encouraged forgiveness and letting go of the past.

Someone with such a big heart - hatred was scary.

Hatred was unlike him.

And the look in his eyes was full of guilt that he would think of someone in such a way - even if they deserved it.