37

-No Light, No Light by Florence + the Machine-

Denise sucked down her bottle of water, like a dying fish, exhausted as if she had just run a marathon. Usually, she'd finish her performance on stage on a high note, ready for an encore even, especially for award shows like tonight.

Tonight, however, she felt the need to crash and was nauseous too.

"You alright? Mark noticed how tired she suddenly looked.

Denise only nodded, continuing to drink the water, which helped a little. She'd have to pee real soon, but at least her chances of passing out were slimming.

She, Mark, and their band, Compulsive Essence, had just finished performing their latest pop hit at the MTV Music Video awards.

In three years, they had climbed the charts, earning over fifty awards for their specialty in crossing into different genres successfully.

Denise, of course, was the lead singer. Mark, the producer and guitarist. They had their drummer Ronnie and their bassist, Cole.

It had been a crazy but fantastic three years for the band. They were truly living their dream and appreciated every opportunity that they were able to show their artistry on stage.

As their makeup team came to clean them up, even Ronnie began to notice that Denise didn't look so well.

As much as she had been trying to act as otherwise, she knew full well, they could see right through her. They knew her too well.

She wasn't even as spunky as she used to be. She looked so tired all the time, lately.

Denise didn't know how she had managed to convinced them she was okay for the past few weeks. But knew one of them was going to call her out on the carpet soon.

Probably, Mark.

"Why don't we sit you down," even the makeup artist could tell that something was definitely wrong.

"Good idea," Mark took the initiative, putting his arm around his wife's waist.

The group suddenly stop when they heard "Compulsive Essence," followed by applause.

"Did we just win something?" asked Cole.

"Artist of the year," said a worker, ushering them to quickly go get their award.

They were LIVE and on a schedule.

"Come on," Denise started walking to get on stage.

"Wait, wait, wait," Mark stopped her. "We'll go get it. You take a minute."

"I'm fine," she assured them all with a smile. "Let's go get that award."

Reluctantly, the boys followed her to the stage under the bright lights and the big applause.

Each of them hugs Dua Lipa, who gives Denise their spaceman award.

"Wow, thank you guys so much," Denise said as the crowd died down.

Mark stared at her lovingly. As tired as he looked, she was glowing. Denise looked absolutely stunning in her green dress that looked perfect against her dark skin.

"The boys and I are thankful that you guys have connected and really seen the hard work that we put into our music. Three years in, and we've gotten farther than most people do in this industry. And we have each and every one of our fans to thank for that. Even more so, our family for their undying support."