31

-Write On Me Fifth Harmony-

Denise could understand why Mark hadn't recognized his old neighborhood. His parents' house was the only home that hadn't been renovated. Considering they owned the house, they had no problems with how it looked and even more so the memories it held.

They had no interest in moving, selling, or renting it out.

Eugene and Audrey planned on living in the house that they raised their children until their last breath.

Denise loved the old-modeled home. Despite it being outdated, they kept the place up nice. It had an old charm to it that was striking to the eye and made you wonder about the memories it held over time.

The house belonged to someone else before it was given to Eugene and Audrey in their mid-twenties.

Adeline and Samantha had cleaned out their old bedrooms long ago, giving their parents two free rooms. One was used for Audrey's sewing hobby, and the other a guest room.

Mark's bedroom, however, hadn't been touched.

An intrigued Denise found herself in his room after brushing her teeth.

The room wasn't would you expected for a young teenage boy. Then again, Mark wasn't an average kid and definitely not the average teen.

He was a good boy, stayed out of trouble.

Clean and evidently had a good head on his shoulders, considering the lack of teenage angst signs.

A typical teenager would have walls plastered with athletes, hip hop, rock bands, and supermodel posters. Mark, however, had photos of his family and his childhood friends - everywhere.

They were the center of his life.

Still was after what she'd seen tonight.

The room was spotless too. Besides Audrey keeping everything dust-free, she never had to make Mark clean his room or do it for him, according to her.

Mark kept tidy all by himself.

He still did too. Denise knew that from traveling with him.

Between the two, she was the slob. It really showed true when they were in a hotel. When returning to the place she was going to sleep for the night, the first thing she did was kick off her shoes and take off her pants.

Usually, she was so exhausted, she'd leave her stuff scattered on the floor. She hadn't noticed until now that Mark always picked up after her. Didn't complain about it either.

Even when they were just friends, he was taking care of her.

She smiled at the thought of him as she kept looking around.

On his desk in the corner was a row of books on a shelf. He had a deep love for the sci-fi genre evidently.

As she ran her fingers across the book binds, she noticed a photo by a cup of pens and pencils.

It was of a young Mark and who she guessed was Brianna. By the way, Mark was looking at her, the love in his eyes - it was definitely her.

Mark was almost recognizable, his younger self shorter, scrawnier, and with short hair.

At the time, he probably never thought he'd ever look like he did now.

Then there was Brianna. She was stunning.

Caramel skin, young brown eyes that seemed to gleam of the pain Mark said she had gone through with her abusive father.

Maybe Denise could see the pain because she knew the story. She didn't know and didn't dwell. But her heart did break a bit - for Brianna.