38

-Space Enough to Grow by Of Mice & Men-

In their hotel room at the Plaza, Denise sat with her back against the King Sized bed's headboard, holding her mother's business card in her hands. Naturally, she'd imagine bumping into her family many times. No matter how many versions she'd gone through, it wasn't at all like what happened tonight.

Her sister Iris, practically mute. Her mother hugging her as if she was her long lost daughter that she'd been searching for, for years.

Pathetic, Denise thought to herself.

While she might have had more resentment toward her father, she could never ignore the reality that her mother never stood up for her.

Didn't fight for her to not sent away, at least from what Denise remembered.

It had been so long. She questioned if things were even as bad as she recalled. Or did her abandonment issue make it seem like it worse than it was?

Sometimes anger blurred the lines and prevented you from seeing the small details that really change a situation's perspective.

Maybe her mother did fight for her, but just not outwardly.

It didn't matter, either way, because she never came with her or sought her out. Even more so, she stayed with the man that had proven himself to believe that family was expendable.

With a sigh, she put the card on the bedside table, not wanting to think about her family anymore tonight.

This was supposed to be a good night, after all.

She was pregnant. Denise had another chance to be a mom. While she had every right to be nervous and afraid, she felt pretty at peace about it.

Denise had confidence and optimism that Mark had managed to rub off on her. They had been blessed so much that she couldn't help but believe that things were going to be okay. And if they weren't, the storm only lasted so long before the rainbow took its turn.

Fresh out of the shower and only wearing boxers, Mark came out of the bathroom.

"You okay?" he asked her.

Denise nodded. She felt much better now that they were alone and away from people.

Mark gives her an unsure look, knowing she didn't look at all happy at the afterparty. For good reasoning, though.

"I'm great, come here," she patted the bed. "How can I be so upset when I have a big reason to be happy."

Mark sat down beside her with a bright smile on his face.

"Bet you weren't expecting me to tell the whole world, huh?" she leaned back on her arms.

"Not at all," Mark touched her stomach, elated about the precious life his wife was carrying. A life that would be his son or daughter.

He didn't care what the gender was, only that it was healthy.

"I couldn't help myself," Denise placed her hand over his. "I wanted the world to know that I've had the privilege of carrying Mark Walsh's baby."

Mark smirked, "you scared?"

Confidently, Denise shook her head, intertwining her fingers with his. "Not at all."

Mark leaned out for a kiss, only to be met with minty fresh breath as she let out a big yawned.

"I'm so sorry," she giggled.