40

-Roger Rabbit by Sleeping With Sirens-

Denise rang the doorbell of her sister's lavish home and stood on the porch quietly. They had planned to meet for lunch at a coffee shop, but Iris texted her address last minute.

Denise prayed that she wasn't being set up, and her parents were inside, waiting for her. She gulped, her heart beating against her chest as if she'd just ran a marathon.

She was so nervous and didn't know what to say to her sister.

Denise didn't want to jump right into the past. However, she needed to know where Iris stood and what she thought about her before anything else.

Denise's heart nearly leaped out of her chest when Iris opened the door, wiping her face with a makeup wipe. She wore some joggers and a sports bra.

"Hey," Iris smiled. "Come in," she ushered her big sister inside.

Considering how mute she was when they first bumped into each other, Denise was confused and very much hesitant when she crossed the threshold of the modernly furnished home.

"I just got back from a photoshoot," Iris closed the door.

"Oh," Denise arched a brow in thought.

Her father didn't want her to be a singer because the industry was corrupt, yet he had no problem with his wife and daughter modeling.

The model world was just as toxic as the music, if not more.

Denise tried to ignore the passing thought that her father had it out for her for all these years.

Looking back, she didn't remember her father ever mistreating Iris. Then again, she was only five - not that age stopped other terrible parents.

"I thought we were going to meet at a coffee shop."

"I thought about it," Iris folded the wipe. "Then I realized that the last thing we need is leaked photos of us hanging out. Especially when mom and dad don't know that I'm meeting with you."

Denise was surprised. She hadn't asked Iris to keep anything a secret.

Also, it insinuated that Iris might get in trouble for meeting with her. Mostly from their father than their mother.

"I figured that's what you would've wanted," Iris made a mental note of her astonishment.

While Denise hadn't thought about it, she was glad her sister didn't tell their parents.

"I'm gonna finished getting cleaned up. You can take a seat in the living room," Iris pointed in the direction. "If you're thirsty or hungry, the kitchen's that way. And the bathroom's down there."

"Thanks," Denise went to the living room while Iris went upstairs.

She eyes the mostly white decorated place wearily as she sat down on the expensive leather couch.

Her nineteen-year-old sister lived in such a lavish place. Yet, she and Mark still lived in their ordinary family home in their ordinary neighborhood.

As their bank account grew, they decided they didn't want to live the lavish life. They weren't going to buy a mansion with more than five rooms for only them and their two future kids. It was unnecessary.

So was having more than two cars just because they could afford it.

They still had the van, got a Jeep, and then there was Mark's motorcycle.

They barely even shopped in brand name stores. They were the celebrities who got caught in the dollar stuff plenty of times.

The most expensive things they used their money on was traveling and their high tech music and filming studio in the basement.