14

-Feeling Good by Nina Simone-

For the next few days, Denise and Mark stayed inside their hotel room, ordering takeout, eating snacks, and watching movies. They watched their favorite kid movies that they loved growing up.

Denise's favorite was all the Shreks, and Mark loved Scooby-Doo. One movie in particular that they shared a love for was Monster House.

They binged some of Parks and Rec, Criminal Minds, and How to Get Away with Murder.

Eventually, they got tired of watching a TV screen, put on some music, and lit a cigarette.

With her head propped up on a pillow, Denise laid on her back with her eyes closed. Mark was beside her, his back against the headboard and the cigarette in between his middle and index finger.

They quietly listened to the soulful voice of Nina Simone, both relaxed.

Well, Mark was relaxed. Despite taking meds, Denise's cramps were giving her a hard time. On top of that, she couldn't get comfortable and had the urge to be held.

It was only on her period that she felt the desire to be affectionate, which sucked for her because she usually used men for sex. She knew how to take the intimacy out of sex.

Taking the intimacy out of affection, however, contradicted the point of it.

Denise didn't even cuddle after sex. She got dressed and went outside for a cigarette.

"Damn it," she sighed, sitting up.

"What's wrong?" Mark asked her.

"I can't get comfortable," she rubbed the back of her neck, with both hands, "and my hormones are messing with me."

"What do you mean? What, are you horny or something?"

"No, you idiot," Denise rubbed her temples, laughing.

Mark chuckled, "I'm just messing with you."

"Well, it's not helping."

"I'm sorry, but I don't think I can be of much help considering I'm a dude."

Denise looked at Mark to give him a look, but paused, getting an idea.

"What?" Mark blew some smoke into the air.

"Don't make this weird, but I could really use a cuddle, and you're big and uh, broad, so, I'm just gonna -"

Denise lifts his arm, cuddling up to his side. She lays her head on his stomach immediately, feeling her hormones ease up.

"So much better," Denise sighed of relief.

Well, it was better for her. It was so unexpected for Mark that he had his arm in the air like he was afraid to touch her.

"This is you making it weird. Relax," Denise put his arm under hers, so his hand laid on her thigh.

Still a bit stiff, Mark used the nicotine to calm himself down.

A relaxed Denise closed her eyes, "so you said you have two sisters? Older or younger?"

"Older."

"So, you're the youngest. What are their names?"

"Adeline and Samantha."

"Have you talked to them or your family since you've gotten out of prison? How long have you even been out, and why not go back to Denver?"