36

-Unwritten by Natasha Bendingful-

"What the hell?" Denise cursed, getting pulled out of her sleep by Mark, was putting pants on her.

The sun shining through the window hit her right in the eyes when she tried to get up.

"Damn it. Mark!" she rubbed her eyes with an annoyed sigh. "What are you -"

He picked her up bridal style.

"-doing?"

"I finished," he started heading downstairs.

Getting the sleep out of her eyes, she looked up at him.

Mark was still in his clothes from yesterday. He hadn't slept because he worked all night.

"Mark - wha -" she trailed off as they entered the living room.

Her husband had successfully turned their unfurnished living space into a freaking music studio.

"I know you did not wake me up to sing," it was taking everything in her not to flip out. "What time is it?"

"Almost nine, I think," Mark gave her a hot cup of coffee that he knew would wake her up and a little less mad at him.

The doorbell rang.

"I got it," he went to answer, leaving a grumbling Denise drinking her coffee.

If he thought he could lure her in with caffeine, he was wrong. She eyed the equipment wearily.

In came Ryleigh with Mark, all dressed and ready to go.

"You ready?" she asked Denise, who frowned.

"For what?"

"For breakfast."

"Oh, right," all this music nonsense caused her to forget.

"I'll be ready in two minutes," she happily gave Mark back the coffee. "Sorry, babe, can't sing. I have a date."

Denise turned toward the stairs, Ryleigh's words, putting her back in the hot seat.

"You finally told uncle Mark you can sing?"

Denise looked back at her with widened eyes.

Ryleigh gulped, realizing she had put her foot in her mouth.

"You knew?" Mark asked the thirteen-year-old.

"No, I heard it from grandpa when he was talking to grandma the other day. He said you sang when he was teaching you how to play piano, and I'm gonna stop talking," Ryliegh gulped under Denise's wide stare.

Mark looks at his wife, head tilted.

"In my defense," said Denise. "It just kind of happened. I wasn't intentionally trying to show him - oh, who cares what does it matter?" she hit her breaking point. "Mark, why is this so important to you?"

"Because I want to make your dreams come true," he silenced her. "YouTube isn't your dream. You like it, but it's not what you dreamed of when you were younger. It's music, and you know it. I've seen you, how makes it feel, how it takes you away."

Denise gulped, his true words being the opposite of what she wanted to hear. All she could think about was her dad.

"Look at me," Mark caressed both sides of her face, leaning his head on her hers.

Denise looks at him.

"I hate the thought of you never being able to do what you always dreamed of. I don't care what your father said; I believe in you. And if you don't believe in yourself, I've got enough for both of us."