20

-Empire State of Mind by Jay Z featuring Alicia Keys-

New York City - the Big Apple.

Denise had visited the city plenty of times growing up. Being there reminded her of the love she's always had for it. She loved the artistry of it, the diversity, and the liveliness of the nightlife.

New York had a piece of everything for everyone who encountered it.

With her head laid on Mark's arm, she hummed the words to Beautiful Crazy by Luke Combs. She had been in a country song mood lately and had no clue why. She loved the genre despite the disdain most people had for it.

She let out a tired yawn in the middle of her humming and resumed.

They had explored the beautiful city all day. And now, Denise was excited to end the night with dinner at a jazz club. However, that didn't stop her desire for a pillow either.

Mark's arm would have to suffice for now.

Mark was on his phone, scrolling through the comments of his latest Instagram photo. He was gaining more subscribers every day, and people were eager to see him on other platforms other than Youtube.

He wasn't much of a picture person, so most of his pictures consisted of Denise and beautiful shots of New York.

Since Denise permitted Mark to continue uploading videos of their life on the road, she figured she mine as well let him take pictures of her too. Just because people knew what she looked like, didn't mean she had to confirm or confront their wrong and right accusations of who she really was.

Also, Mark was good at taking pictures. He had a good eye when it came to capturing a moment.

His latest picture was of Denise on the Brooklyn Bridge, looking out toward the sunset.

Mark chuckled as he scrolled through the comments.

Denise lifts her head to look at him, "what?"

"People are really digging the photo of you on the Brooklyn Bridge. A lot of people like your haircut."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, they say you have the perfect head shape," pulling his attention away from his phone, Mark looks at her thoughtfully.

"What?" Denise slightly leaned away from him, visibly uncomfortable.

"They're right," he nodded. "Not a lot of people can pull off short hair."

"Well, uh, thanks," Denise put her gaze forward.

Mark's eyebrows rose in curiosity.

Denise had never been uncomfortable under his gaze before unless she was talking about her feelings.

"Did I just make things weird?" he asked her.

"No, it's me," Denise rolled her eyes at herself. "I guess, now that you really know me, things just feel different."

"Different how?"

"Different like, I can't hide my feelings from you anymore. At this point, you could tell what I'm thinking just by the look on my face. I mean, it's nice to have someone I feel safe around but this new feeling of -"

"Exposure?"

Denise looks at Mark and nods, "yeah, exactly. I feel exposed like a wound, and it feels weird, I guess. The old me is desperate just to pack up everything and run away, but the new me knows I'm right where I need to be."