Chapter 7

Jax and I arrived to his uncle's castle a bit early to try to mingle with everyone and to listen in on conversations in hopes to hear anything at all that could be related to Scarlette. Jax was wound up and I have have never known him to react this way over any chick. I had always hoped he would find his mate soon but damn, leave it to Jax to have a mate with all kinds of strings attached.

"Who should we start with?" I asked Jax as his roamed the ballroom. We were surrounded by vamps, witches, and weres. Surely someone here knew something.

"You go mingle with the vamps, I'll work on the witches." Jax said as he walked in the direction of witches, a few of them were already staring glancing his way while whispering amongst themselves. I rolled my eyes and made my way over to the vamps. I didn't particularly care for their kind, but we had a peace treaty amongst ourselves along with the witches. It was imperative that the supernatural world worked together.

"Hi ladies, how are you all on this fine evening?" I asked with a friendly smile. Two of the vamp women glanced at me and licked their lips. I internally shuddered. Chloe would kill my ass if she was here right now. She trusts me, don't get me wrong but she is very territorial. "Seems to be getting better now." The red headed vamp purred as she ran her hand down my right arm. She was beautiful, as most vamps are but she was no Chloe.

"Flirting with death tonight Mitch?" I turned my head to see Jareth standing there smirking. "It's been too long brother!" I smiled broadly and hugged Jareth. "That it has." Jareth said as he took a step back. Although Jareth is a vamp, we have known each other for many years. He was truly like a brother to me. "I was actually hoping to see you tonight." I told him as we nodded our heads at the lady vamps who were now disgruntled that we were walking away from them. "Were you? To what do I owe the pleasure of?" Jareth asked me, his interest piqued. I pulled him to the side and explained every about Scarlette as low as I could, hoping that the loud music would prevent anyone from overhearing our discussion.

"So now we are trying to figure out what happened as well as how in the hell we are going to tell Scarlette." I told him as he stated at me in shock. "Mitch, I might know something about this, but I have to be sure that it is definitely her." Jareth told me with serious expression on his face. Now I was the curious one. "What do you mean Jareth? What is that you know?" I asked him as he starting looking around the ballroom deep in thought.

"Do tell Jareth." Jax said as he approached us from behind. I looked over at my alpha who's entire focus was on Jareth. I quickly glanced around to make sure no one else seemed to be paying attention to our conversation.

"There have been rumors of the last living Salem witch. She is said the be the most powerful witch to live being that she is a descendant of the first true witches. She dissapeared a few years back, her mother was brutally murdered by a warlock who wanted to take her daughter's power. No one knows what happened to her." Jareth explained to us with a small smile. "Until now." He said quietly.

I looked at Jax in shock, his face void of any emotion. "Do you think Scarlette is the missing Salem descendant?" I asked him nervously. If she was then this just complicates matters even further.

Jax looked at me and ran his hand through his beard. "I have no idea, it makes sense being that it would explain why someone would bind her powers. Perhaps her mother did to protect her. How do we find out for sure?" Jax asked Jareth.

Jareth simply shrugged and said, "Easy. Have a witch unbind her powers." With that, Jareth chuckled and walked away.

"Asshole." Jax growled at Jareth.

"Well I mean, he did just solve our mystery." I reminded Jax as his glare turned my way. "Easy man! I get that we can't just unbind her powers yet but now we have something to go on when we try to explain this mess to her." I told him, hoping that he would calm down and think rationally. Jax is already hot headed as it is, but now he has his mate and he is an alpha, so his temper is even worse now.

"Mitch how do we even begin to explain any if this to her? She is going to lose her damn mind!" He asked me as he reached for a glass of whiskey from a server's tray as they walked by.

"I honestly don't know Jax. I really don't but," I started to say but I was cut of when I sensed my mate walking into the ballroom, along with the hushed voices. We turned our heads and saw Chloe and Scarlette walking into the ballroom. Jax looked like he just saw a ghost when his eyes locked onto Scarlette. "Shit." I mumbled as I grabbed Jax by his arm. "Now I never tell you what to do being that you're the alpha and all, but as your friend I ask that you don't storm over there and cause a scene." I quickly told him as he gave me a death glare.

"Why would Chloe bring her here?!" Jax whisper yelled to me. I was wondering the same damn thing.