Chapter 6

I really need to find a job while I'm staying here, I thought to myself as I started up my laptop. What kind of job could I get that won't draw any attention to myself? I wondered as I carried my laptop over to my couch. One of the perks of living alone is being able to lounge in comfy clothes whenever you want. I had changed my clothes after coming home and was now wearing a pair of red and black flannel pajama bottoms with a white wife beater. Who comes up with these weird names for shirts? Ugh, I'm distracting myself with stupid thoughts. I settled onto my couch and rested my laptop on my lap in hopes to find a job.

I must have dozed off while the browser was opening because the next thing I knew, there was a knock on my front door. Who could that be? I wondered nervously. No one knows that I'm here, do they? I began to feel a panic attack set in as I tip toed over to my front door.

"Scarlette? Are you home? It's Chloe!" I heard Chloe call out.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves as I slowly opened my front door partially. Well I tried to keep it partially closed, but to my surprise Chloe walked right past me into my apartment.

"Um, hi?" I said awkwardly as Chloe looked around my small place. "Hey girl, I'm sorry for barging in like this but every time I run into you, you're in a hurry to go somewhere." Chloe awkwardly chuckled at me.

Well I hate to admit to myself, she has a point there. I guess it wouldn't hurt to get to know my neighbor a little bit. I just have to make sure she doesn't get too close. Everyone I have ever cared about has died. I can't help but to feel that I am to blame for that. I don't fully understand why they have all died, but for some reason I have something to do with it.

"I'm sorry Chloe. I'm not used to making friends, I'm so used to moving all of the time, that I forget how to socialize." I explained, silently kicking myself for mentioning moving a lot.

"It's cool. Why don't we change that then shall we? Hi, I'm Chloe and I live two doors down from you." Chloe said with a friendly smile as she took my hand and shook it. I laughed and smiled back. "It's nice to meet you Chloe, I'm Scarlette and I am terrible at this."

Chloe started laughing at me and walked over to my couch to sit down. "I have a feeling we are going to get along great." Chloe said with a grin. "That will be nice." I said with a small smile.

"So what does everyone do for fun in this small town?" I asked Chloe, just trying to start a conversation. I didn't actually care what everyone did for fun, but I figured since she made the effort to come over to talk I might as well pretend to care.

"Well as you've seen, there isn't much to do around here. There's a really badass castle nestled in the mountains that we all go to for parties and gatherings. Jax's uncle owns it and allows us to do things there to prevent us from dying from boredom." Chloe explained dramatically.

A castle huh? That piqued my interest. "Is it a legit castle like from the past or a mansion that everyone calls a castle?" I asked her as I sat down on the other end of the couch. I felt comfortable talking to Chloe, but I still can't help but to keep some kind of distance between us.

"It's a legit castle girl! I was so mesmerized the first time I saw it. It feels like you're stepping back in time when you're inside of it. It is really cool." Chloe said with an excited smile. "We're actually having a get together tonight, I can't believe I almost forgot!" Chloe exclaimed while jumping up to her feet. "You should totally come! It will be so much fun, and I need a chick to hang out with! I'm always stuck with the guys." Chloe told me with a pout.

I could feel all of my nerves bundling back up now. How was I going to back out of this? Chloe seemed so excited about tonight, but I can't lay low and go to gatherings, can I? Unless I take advantage of this gathering as blending in. Hmmm. I wondered as Chloe looked at me expectantly. "I guess I can come, but I have nothing to wear." I told her as I thought about the sad fact that I own like maybe 4 outfits tops. What can I say, moving every year means I have to travel light.

Chloe squealed and clapped her hands. "Don't worry about an outfit Scar! I have a huge wardrobe you can go through!"

Of course she does. I thought to myself. I guess it's too late to back out now. "Come on! Let's go find you an outfit and play makeover!" Chloe said as she practically dragged me out of my apartment. I sighed and wondered what I just got myself into.

Two hours later.

"Try this one on." Chloe ordered me as she tossed the what felt to be the billionth dress my way. I still couldn't believe that I was doing this. I picked up the red dress and pulled it over my head and tugged it down my body. It was too tight, so I huffed at took it back off. "Is there anything besides a dress that I can wear?" I asked her while begging her with my eyes. "Hmmm, oh! Try this!" She said as she pulled out a black beautiful jumpsuit style outfit. I smiled with relief as I stepped into the outfit. It was beautiful and comfy so I was happy. It was looser than the dresses but still flattered my figure:

 It was looser than the dresses but still flattered my figure:

I was definitely wearing this outfit tonight. After checking myself out in her ginormous mirror and touching up my makeup, I turned around to see what Chloe decided to wear. I smiled at how beautiful she looked in her white dress:

We both took one last quick look in the mirror, grabbed our matching clutches and headed out her apartment door

We both took one last quick look in the mirror, grabbed our matching clutches and headed out her apartment door. I was really nervous, but also really excited. I was heading to a frickin castle!