Chapter 3

As I walked around the produce store, I was trying to remember everything I would need to make one of my mother's recipes. I stopped in front of the crate of spinach by the window and I felt as though I was being watched. I slowly looked up and directly across the street I saw the sexiest man I have ever come across, smoking a cigarette and staring straight at me. Or at least it felt like he was. He had long, dark hair that I wanted to run my fingers through. Woah. Where did that come from? A leather jacket that covered his broad shoulders. He was like a biker/god that had my heart beating in a frenzy. Chill Scar. You never get like this over a man. Remember. No one can be trusted. I reminded myself and forced myself to look away and try to go back to shopping.

I couldn't remember everything that I needed because my stupid mind kept wandering back to that hunk across the street. Hunk? Really Scar? I mentally rolled my eyes at myself. I took what little I could remember up to the cashier so that I could pay and be on my way.

As I headed outside, my heart began to beat faster because I instantly locked eyes with him. Look away. I scolded myself to no avail. He looked yummy, yet almost as if he was internally battling with himself. His jaw was tense, that jaw that I wanted to reach out and stop it! I was really starting to lose it.

I tried to break eye contact, but I couldn't budge. My feet felt as if they were stuck in the sidewalk. I sucked in a breath when I realized that Mr. Badass himself was walking over to me. The way he carried himself was full of authority and confidence. I felt as though for a moment that I was his prey and he was the big bad wolf. I really am losing my mind.

The closer he moved towards me, I swear I could feel the air begin to electrify. Part of me felt like I should be terrified, yet the other part of me was too entranced by him to even move.

"Mine." He growled as he approached me. He leaned in to me and inhaled deeply and I could hear almost a purr come from his chest. That's it Scar. You've officially lost your mind. Growling and now purring. I chastised myself internally. I needed to snap out of this trance-like state and I needed to do it fast. "What is your name?" He asked with a husky voice as he lifted my chin up so he could look into my eyes.

"Scarlette." I quietly answered him as I felt myself mesmerized by his hazel eyes and scar that ran through his left eyebrow. Everything about this man screamed dangerous, yet here I stood practically melting in this spot imagining doing inappropriate things to him.

"Scarlette." He said aloud, testing my name. The way he said my name had butterflies going insane in my stomach and I shivered at the thought of him moaning it into my ear. Snap out of it girl! I tried to shake these feeling off and break myself out of this haze this mystery man had me wrapped in.

"Sorry, I have to go." I mumbled as I shook my head and tried to step away from him. His eyes became darker and he clenched his jaw as he reached for my arm. "Wait." He said as we locked eyes once again.

"Hey Scarlette!" Called a familiar female voice. I snapped out of my lust filled daze and glanced around his back to see the girl I bumped into this morning walking this way with another gorgeous man. Geez, what is with the men in this town? "Jax, I see you've met Scarlette." She said with a smirk, not breaking eye contact with me.

So mystery man has a name. Jax. I like it. I thought as I remembered I was trying to leave. So much for laying low. "Well it was nice meeting you, Jax, good seeing you again Chloe, but I really have to go." I said with a nervous laugh.

Jax looked as though he was having an internal battle with himself and Chloe touched his right arm and shook her head no. I wasn't expecting to feel a pang of jealousy as she touched him. I closed my eyes and took a quick deep breath to settle my emotions that were once under control but were all over the place at the moment. I turned and walked off fighting the urge I felt to look back. The further I walked away from them, the stronger the pull was that I felt begging me to go back to him. What on earth?

I put what few groceries I actually managed to buy away and walked into my bathroom to turn on my shower. I needed to scrub away whatever was causing me to drop my guard. I couldn't get his husky voice or hazel eyes out of my mind. I must be losing my mind, how can a stranger have this strong of an effect on me?