A Nest of Vipers Pt. 6

Thunder rumbles and the skies shift above the two carriages that move farther and farther away from each other. These two carriages hold three of the most important children to their societies. Each kingdom is getting prepared to welcome them with open arms in their own ways.

As the carriages parted and they get closer and closer to their futures, those two carriages couldn't have been more different. While the siblings had one experience entering their kingdom, the other prince? His experience was terrifyingly different.

The two kingdoms are about four hours away from each other by carriage. One kingdom sits towards the east, the other towards the west. As the golden carriage of Golden Ridge rides closer and closer to the town, the grass becomes greener and greener. Flowers become bigger, colors are beginning to get more and more vibrant. Life of all kinds becomes heavier and more dense with wild animals. Wild horses can sense the blooming aura inside the carriage, running after them happily with deer, antelope leaping with butterflies, dragonflies and ladybugs. It's all so beautiful, one would forget about the sadness in the skies.

While one carriage is blessed with beauty and life, the other is blessed with the air become sour, the grass drying and the ground turning an ashen gray. There are carcasses of dead animals and human remains scattered and being crushed under hooves and wheels.

Finley doesn't dare look out the window, keeping his eyes straight ahead with a frown sketched to his face. Trixie sits obediently next to him, not trembling or showing a bit of unease. She's a smart girl, she knows where they are and this is what she's trained for.

The golden carriage begins it's route into the town of Golden Ridge, where a party is in full swing. Despite the thunderous skies, the nice and decorated houses are painted with colorful streamers, confetti flying around like rain as people throw flowers and coins. Dancers suddenly follow behind the carriage, twirling in beautiful satin and staying together with the tambourines and joyful music.

Cailin and Sarah can't believe their eyes, staring with small smiles on their faces as people from the streets wave and cheer, welcoming them home.

Cailin can almost feel a bit of happiness surrounding him, knowing that people are glad to see him. But the small grin fades as he remembers how lucky he is. He knows Finley won't be getting this grand welcome. He can't help but worry about his soulmates wellbeing.

And Cailin turns out to be right. Finley doesn't get such a happy greeting.

The black carriage enters the town of Black Ridge, which welcomes him with shouts and screams of people not doubt getting killed. Homeless men and women with children sit by the shabby houses that are barely standing, not cheering nor clapping. They stare with dead eyes that hold no souls, almost as if they're cursing what's inside the lavish carriage.

Rocks and pebbles are thrown by bystanders, people with rakes and other tools following behind like a warning to the prince. They walk like zombies, not having any will to live as they scream and yell in outrage, throwing all they can find.

Finley doesn't let it get to him. His people are only trying to intimidate him, and they're not winning.

Finley only grins as he feeds off the malice and anger, feeling it all pool in his chest comfortably, only making the god inside him grow stronger.

The road is bumpy with gravel, but the air is much better than Gillian's. It's the smell that's horrible, like rotting flesh. But Finley can get used to it. He'll have to live here for some time.

Both carriages make it to the gates, where their castles sits just beyond. One looks lavish, white and beautiful while the other looks bleak and sad, painted black and gray.