forty four

L I L L I A N N A

"It's okay, I'm here," Elio soothes, rubbing my back as I throw up into the toilet bowl for the 4th time this week.

I begin to softly cry as I sit on the bathroom floor but he kisses my forehead and continues to rub my back until I am finished.

I hear my phone ringing repeatedly in the background and I quickly motion to Elio to answer it before throwing up once more.

"Niall, it's Elio," I hear him say softly into the phone and the mention of Niall's name only makes me cry even more.

I wish he was here.

"Elio? Is Lilli okay? I've been ringing non-stop and she hasn't been answering," I hear Niall's voice ramble into the phone and although Elio quickly steps out of the bathroom to reply I can still hear him over the sound of my own gagging.

"Lilli hasn't been feeling good this week. She's fine, I promise and I'm looking after her so there's no need to worry," I hear Elio say into the phone in his usual calm tone.

I'm so grateful for him.

"Do I need to come home? Are you sure she is alright?" I hear Niall ask through the phone, his concern clearly evident in his tone.

"Niall, I promise she'll be fine and you'll be back next week anyway," Elio says reassuringly but as I begin to throw up again I hear Elio re-enter the bathroom and his spare hand is instantly rubbing my back again.

"Niall, I'm sorry but I really have to go-"

"Is that her vomiting? Please put the phone on speaker and let me talk to her," I hear Niall ask quickly and Elio complies, setting the phone on the sink beside us in order to free his hand.

"Lilli, baby don't worry I'll be home soon. I miss you so much," Niall's voice says and I instantly begin to cry again.

"You're okay, keep breathing," Niall's voice soothes as I throw up once more and I know he can hear me heaving through the phone.

It must be so hard for him to hear me being sick and not being able to physically help.

"I love you," I mutter quietly, my throat burning and I hold on to Elio for support.

"I love you Lilli," Niall says sadly and I listen to him talk for a few more minutes whilst Elio holds me on the bathroom floor.

••••••

"Hey girly, how are you feeling?" Elio asks with a bright smile as my eyes flutter open and I realise that I'm in my bed wearing a fresh pair of pyjamas.

"I actually feel a lot better," I answer honestly, rubbing my eyes and I can see a sense of relief flood across Elio's face.

"I'm so sorry Elio, I di-"

"Don't you dare apologise to me," he says dramatically, making me slightly laugh.

Elio will always be able to make me laugh.
He's a bit like Niall in that way.

"That's what best friends are for," he continues, blowing me a kiss as he sits beside me on the bed.

"I just don't know what's wrong with me. I've been feeling so awful the last couple of weeks," I groan, rolling over in my bed and snuggling into my duvet but I notice that Elio doesn't respond.