Thirteen~ Three Hearts

Kris

I end up in Pittsburg walking around town with David and Anthony just to pass the time. I was close in relations with a lot of guys on the team, they all took me in and showed me the ropes. There wasn't anyone I didn't feel uncomfortable talking to and I know that I could trust them all.

But Rossy and Tony were my best friends. We were the three musketeers as we hang out every time we're on the road. We tried to get our rooms together and open the doors between them so we can bother each other. We also liked to walk around and take advantage of the fact that we get to go cool places and see things most people don't for their jobs.

So we hit the town for a nice dinner and a stroll. We end up in some department store as Rossy looks for some clothes because he didn't pack enough. Typical for him really.

"How's the girl and the kid" Anthony wonders trying to pass the time. I smile really big as I let out a sigh.

"They're great. Jenna is doing really good, she loves to hang out whenever we possibly can, whether it's late night after a game or it's me bothering her at work. She doesn't mind when I'm too tired to do somethings, she knows that I want to be with her even though I can't.

And Mary has been begging to come to games. I think Rossy's wife and Lester's wife have offered to take her to some more games when Jenna is working and can't make it. But Jenna wanted to come to some games too" I smile.

"She knows that since she's with you she doesn't really need to work anymore" Anthony explains and I laugh.

"She's not that kind of girl. She won't put her future in my hands like that. In our hands, together, yes, but she won't stop everything she worked so hard for to let me take care of her. Trust me, I've offered to take care of her and her niece many of times. But she wants to live life with me and not because of me and I have to respect that" I nod.

"Are you afraid she's doing that in case she needs a quick exit" he cautions.

"No, not at all. The things she's said to me are deep, so deep that it's the kinds of things she never wanted to tell anyone. But she told me because she believes that I am someone she needs and someone she can trust. Her reasons for being independent have nothing to do with me but with her" I insist.

"Do you believe that people like that exist? Who actually have pure intentions and enough of a backbone to want to support themselves even though you offer to help" he asks.

"I didn't. Not for the longest time did I think someone like that existed.

Then I met her and everything changed. And I'm happy it did" I admit.

"That's very mature of you rookie, what are you supposed to learn the rest of the time you're up here" he teases.

"I don't know. I want to learn how to play the guitar" I tease.

"Oh you can't do that. You can't look good, play baseball and play a instrument. Give us other guys a chance" he jokes.

"You have your chances" I laugh.

We continue to walk around the store and somehow end up in the jewelry section. Anthony jokingly picks up a necklace but I kinda liked it.

"What are you doing" I ask him as he hold the box up against his chest like he was wearing it. He flips his invisible hair making me chuckle.

"Does this go with my eyes" he asks as he bats them around.

"You look ridiculous" I say as I take it from him.

I look in the box and smile big. I see three hearts interlocked to each other and I thought it was beautiful. Simple but beautiful.

"Is there another one of these" I ask him as he looks at me weird

"What? You actually want to buy that" he questions.

"Yeah, I do" I assure him.

"But why" he questions.

"I want to get one for Jen and Mary" I insist as I look around. I find another one like the one in my hand and smile big before picking it up.

"You can do better than this cheap jewelry" he insists.

"They don't want fancy stuff. I mean, besides Mary asking to go to Disney world for her birthday they haven't asked for anything of me. Just for my heart. And I gave them my heart and they gave me theirs. That's why I think this is perfect" I explain.

"You could buy them anything in here" he argues.

"That doesn't make it right thing for them. When I look at this I think about how the three of us were linked together, how we are three hearts but at the same time we're kinda one" I shrug.

"Man, have you always been soft" he questions and I laugh.

"Pretty much. I'm a mommas boy when it comes to not being on the field" I defend.

"I am too, but not like you" he admits.

We find David who got clothes to wear and I purchase my necklaces. I toss them in my carry on so when I get home I can give it to them. I know Mary would love it, she tries to take her aunts jewelry all the time. Now she can have something of her own and it can mean something too.

So we finish up the series in Pittsburg before flying home. I absolutely hated flying, always have and always will, and was very happy to land in Chicago. I grab my stuff and head out to where Jenna said she would pick me up so I didn't have pay a million dollars to park at the airport. We might have our own plane but we still have to park there and if I could avoid that at all costs I will. And this also means I get to see my girls sooner.

I quickly find Jenna in her old mustang and toss my things in the back with Mary. There wasn't a lot of room but it all fit.

"Hey Superstar, can you get in my red bag and open up the big zipper? There's two boxes sitting on the top there I need you to grab for me" I ask Mary. She lights up when I ask her and immediately gets to work.

"Superstar" Jenna giggles.

"Where's the lie though" I ask her. She holds her hands up letting me know there is no argument from her.

Mary finds the boxes and hands me one while I tell her to keep a hold of the other since it was for her. That's all she needed to hear to dig into her little present. Jenna looks at me questionably but Mary doesn't even question it before tearing into the package. She lets out a squeal as she turns to me all bright eyed.

"Is this for me" she cheers.

"Of course kiddo" I promise.

I turn back to Jen who finally opened hers up. She doesn't say anything but the smile on her face told me everything I needed to know.

"Yours is the same as Mary's. You guys have my heart and I have yours, that makes three so now you guys will remember that whenever it might be that you'll need a reminder and I'm not here to tell you" I explain.

Jennas eyes finally leave the necklace to find mine. I see some tears in her eyes and it made me happy that she liked it.

"This is wonderful Kris, thank you" she smiles. She pulls me into a kiss and I happily kiss her back. I forgot Mary was with us for a second but got a nice reminder when she started fake gagging.

"You're welcome" I whisper on her lips.