The surgery

Valeria

I woke up early and showered. The doctor instructed me not to wear makeup or jewelry. I put on loose-fitting clothes. I came downstairs and found Cameron in the kitchen, drinking coffee.

"That's an exciting look for you," Cameron mentioned, sipping his coffee.

"The doctor said not to wear anything tight or other items," I whispered.

Cameron looked at me, and I turned to walk into the living room. I wanted this surgery over and started the treatment. I put on my shoes, and he followed me out to the car. I got into the backseat and sat there. I didn't know how to feel about this situation.

Cameron drove me to the hospital and escorted me inside it. I checked in, and he sat with me in the waiting room. All those years of working for something and it stopped. I focused so much on my future that I faced a chance of it having one. It's irony at its best.

"Valeria Powers," a woman called.

I took a deep breath and stood up. I walked towards the door and followed the woman to a room. She grabbed a gown and placed it on the bed.

"Change into this please," the woman instructed, then left, closing the door.

I changed out of my clothes and into the gown, then climbed onto the bed. I looked around the room. It felt cold and sterile. A few minutes later, a guy entered my room.

"I will be your anesthesiologist. I want you to lay down," the guy instructed.

I laid down, and the guy put an IV in my hand as a nurse entered and placed monitors on me.

"Valeria, I will be your surgical nurse. You should feel relaxed, then we will take you to the operating room," the nurse explained.

"How long will the surgery take?" I asked.

"A few hours, then we will bring you to the recovery room. Do you have any family waiting for you?" The nurse asked.

"No," I answered.

"The doctor will see you in a few minutes, then after the surgery," the nurse informed me.

I nodded as I felt my body relax. The doctor came in and spoke to me. I nodded, but I felt tired. My eyes closed, and I was asleep.

********
Cameron

I sat in the waiting room and flipped through a magazine. The news was playing on the TV as people sat around, waiting for their loved ones to come out of surgery. I thought I would be the last person here with Valeria.

After a while, I tossed the magazine aside and got up, stretching. I checked to see if they anything to drink like coffee or a beer. Something was better than nothing at the moment. I found the coffee maker. Okay, it wasn't a beer, but it would work.

Do you have to know how boring it is to wait around for someone's surgery to finish?  Plus, the hospital puts on the dullest program on TV. The majority of people here were doing something to occupy their time. Now it's a waiting game.

*******
Valeria

I dreamt during the surgery. I never paid attention to my dreams before, but this one seemed real.

"I think Mommy is over there." I heard someone say.  I felt something hit my leg and looked down to see chubby cheeks with big brown eyes and brown curly hair looking up at me.

I leaned over and picked up the little girl. "What are you doing?" I asked. The little girl put her finger in her mouth and pointed.

I looked to see someone walked towards me and smiled.