A Christmas of hope

Cameron

Since Christmas arrived and Valeria felt better than she did in the past few months. I wanted to give her a Christmas of hope. I enlisted a few people to help me with my plans. Since Valeria would return to work after the holidays, this was the perfect opportunity.

I showed up at Valeria's house and knocked on the door. She opened the door and looked at me strangely. I smiled while wearing a hat with reindeer antlers.

"What are you wearing?" Valeria asked me, trying to stifle a laugh.

"Well, it's the season to act Christmasy, so I thought why not be festive," I reasoned.

"You manage that nicely," Valeria snickered.

"I thought about wearing a bow and nothing else, but it's cold. Plus, I doubt your dad would appreciate my gift," I remarked.

"Have you met my dad? Does he seem like he appreciates that type of gift?" Valeria questioned.

"No, and I don't appreciate becoming a turtle," I answered, making Valeria laugh.

I stepped inside, and Valeria grabbed her coat. I helped her with it; then she put on a knit hat and gloves. We left the house and walked to the car. We got in, and I drove us to our destination - an outdoor ice rink.

We got out of the car and walked towards Vincent and Dad. They were waiting for us.

"What's happening?" Valeria asked me.

"Remember when we went ice skating as kids?" I asked.

"Yes, and you cried like a little girl because I out skated you," Valeria mentioned.

"First, you pushed me down, then hit me in the chin with your toe pick. I still have the scar," I said, pointing under my chin.

"It's not my fault that you're slow. Maybe you should learn to skate faster," Valeria remarked.

"Really? Need I remind you that you slowed down recently," I replied, smirking.

Valeria gave me a look, then roll her eyes. Dad and Vincent watched us, trying not to laugh.

"Come in, pouty, let's get some skates," I mentioned, guiding Valeria to the rental place.

While we got out skates, Valeria and my family arrived to join us. I helped Valeria with her skates, making sure they were secure on her feet. I put on my ice skates and laced them up, then stood up. I helped her up, and she almost fell. I chuckled.

"That's not funny," Valeria huffed.

"It is for me. Maybe now I won't have to worry about you pushing me down," I teased.

Valeria rolled her eyes as I helped her onto the ice. She held onto me to steady herself.

"When's the last time you were on ice skates?" I asked.

"High school, then after I started treatment, my endurance and stamina faded," Valeria replied as I steadied her on the ice.

I went slow with Valeria until she became comfortable on her skates. We glided around the rink, taking our time as our families joined us.

********
Vincent

I stepped onto the ice, holding onto the side as Lacey coaxed me.

"Vincent, let go of the wall," Lacey ordered.

"Lacey, if I let go of this firm structure, I'll break a bone," I replied emphatically.

"For a ruthless businessman that people fear, you're acting like a toddler," Lacey remarked.