Confession

Valeria

It was a close call with my father. Cameron and I walked along the beach hand-in-hand.

"Is there a reason why you didn't tell your parents about the diagnosis?" Cameron asked me.

"The situation between my parents and I became terrible. I said things to my mom that doesn't make me proud," I answered.

Cameron looked at me, and I sighed.

"I referred to my mom as a whore after she caught Richard and me together," I confessed.

Cameron stopped and looked at me with furrowed brows.

"I was wrong, and I know it. I believed Richard when he told me that my parents cared more about my siblings than me," I admitted.

"But you know that's not true, and Richard used it against you," Cameron told me.

"People will manipulate you even if you don't think it will happen," I said, pulling my hand away from Cameron and crossing my arms. "I'm not proud of my behavior. My parents didn't raise me to act that way. But it's difficult when they miss important events, reinforcing an idea that someone gives you."

"What did they miss that could make you act like a child?" Cameron questioned.

I furrowed my brows. "They missed my college graduation to attend Landon's graduation. Everyone missed it, so I walked on stage to no applause or cheers," I answered, surprising Cameron. "That was the day that I learned no one would be there for me. Why expect it when I'm sick?"

Cameron's expression softened.

"I thought that if they didn't care about stupid graduation, then they wouldn't care that I was sick. My dad became annoyed when I had to answer my phone call from the doctor. He expects better," I said, trying not to cry.

"I don't think your dad would disregard your diagnosis. I think he would understand," Cameron reasoned.

"I doubt that," I said, fidgeting with my hands.

"Valeria, your dad went through it," Cameron told me.

My face snapped up to look at Cameron.

"From the shocked expression, you didn't know," Cameron mumbled. He crossed his arm over his chest and rubbed his forehead. "I thought you knew."

"No," I replied, shaking my head.

Cameron lowered his hands. "I found out when I called my dad," Cameron admitted.

"You told your dad?" I exclaimed.

"No," Cameron answered. "Not until Dad came time the beach house."

I did a double-take. "What?" I questioned, stunned.

"My dad figured it out, and we talked," Cameron admitted.

I panicked. I paced. "It's no big deal. Now that Cruz knows, he will tell my parents, and they will find me. Dad will force me home and control everything. But it doesn't matter because Dad had cancer and didn't tell us. So, it's no big deal," I rambled, acting overdramatic.

Cameron chuckled.

I stopped and looked at Cameron strangely. "Do you think this is funny?" I asked, getting irritated.

"Considering my dad didn't tell your dad, I find it hysterical," Cameron chuckled.

I looked at Cameron with confusion.

"My dad isn't the type to run to Vincent constantly. If you haven't noticed, my dad tends to do things on his accord," Cameron reasoned.

I sighed and shook my head. Cameron stepped closer to me and reached for my hands. He held them up and looked at me.