Reunion

Vincent

I got out of the car and looked at Lacey, who looked at me, then I shut the car door as we hurried to the hospital entrance. We entered the hospital and went to the front desk.

"Valeria Powers," I inquired.

"And you are?" The receptionist asked.

"Her father," I answered.

The receptionist typed on a keyboard. "Miss Powers is on the oncology floor, room 211," the woman informed us.

I nodded as Lacey, and I walked to the elevators. I pressed the arrow button, pointing up and waited. The minute the elevator doors opened, we stepped inside, and I touched level two. All I could think of was the phone call I received.

The elevator chimed, and the doors opened. I took Lacey's hand as we hurried to room 211 to see Valeria in bed, hooked to an IV. Joe sat in a chair next to Valeria's bed. He looked at us as we walked over to her hospital bed.

I looked at my daughter with a bandana, then noticed her hospital gown. I felt my heartbreak. Joe stood up and looked at me.

"Let's go out into the hallway and talk," Joe whispered.

I nodded as all of us left the hospital room.

"Joe? What's happening?" Lacey questioned.

"The doctor diagnosed Valeria with breast cancer," Joe answered.

I felt the world stop at that moment.

"Valeria had a mastectomy along with several lymph nodes removed. She's been receiving chemotherapy for the past few months," Joe explained.

"Oh, God," Lacey gasped, covering her mouth with her hand.

"Cruz had his suspicions, but we didn't know until we went looking for Hawthorne," Joe told us.

My face snapped to Joe. "Where is Hawthorne?" I asked, feeling anger surge through my body.

"Dead," Joe answered.

I furrowed my brows.

"Cruz and I entered the beach house, and Cameron protected Valeria as I shot Hawthorne," Joe admitted.

"Then why is Valeria here?" Lacey asked.

"Because Valeria developed an infection. The doctor said it's common with a chemo patient," Joe answered.

"I know," I whispered as Joe and Lacey looked at me. I turned and went back into Valeria's hospital room. I walked over and sat down in a chair. I rubbed my face as I looked at Valeria.

Lacey came into the room and walked over to me.

"How could I not see it?" I whispered, looking at our daughter, lying in bed.

"Because Valeria is a fighter. She fought for independence," Lacey answered.

"I feel like a failure. Our child needed us," I said as tears fell down my cheeks.

"Valeria still needs us," Lacey reassured me. I placed my hand on top of Lacey's hand on my shoulder.

*******
Cruz

I left the hospital before Vincent arrived and saw Cameron standing next to his car in the parking lot. I walked over to him.

"How's Valeria?" Cameron asked me.

"She's receiving care. The doctor prescribed antibiotics for her infection," I answered.

"I failed Valeria," Cameron told me.