Preparing for a wedding

Valeria

A few days after my final treatment, I felt better. My parents took me for the fitting of my prosthesis. The woman that fitted me for it had to account for my weight and size. They needed to make sure the importance of the prosthesis was correct and looked natural. The place had me wear a regular top to make sure it looked normal.

Eventually, I would have reconstruction surgery, but I wanted to wait until after my year's appointment. It made sense to me to receive clearance.

We entered the fitting place, and a woman escorted Mom and me to another room. The woman weighed me and measured my rib cage. Then she left the room and returned ten minutes later with a box. She set the box on a table and opened it, revealing the prosthesis.

"Would you like to hold the prosthesis?" The woman asked me.

"I feel odd, holding one," I mentioned as Mom stifled a giggle.

"That's a natural reaction from clients, especially after having a mastectomy," the woman assured me.

The woman pulled out one prosthesis and handed it to me. I held it in my hand. It felt real. I couldn't believe it.

"There are different prostheses for breast cancer survivors. The manufactured makes some of a filling used in pillows, and others are gel-like substances in a casing. Most women prefer this type because of the natural feel and weight," the woman explained.

"I never thought I would look for an item like this," I mentioned.

"Most women don't, but there's nothing wrong with a woman diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancer doesn't discriminate with age," the woman reasoned.

"People stared at me after I lost my hair," I said, touching my bandana. "I felt like a freak."

The woman looked at me with kindness. "Those people are ignorant. Most have never experienced a battle and became a warrior. You, my dear, are a warrior," the woman told me, making me smile.

"Okay, I'll try it on," I said as the woman nodded.

We went into a dressing room, and I put in a bra that the woman gave me. She helped me with the prosthesis, showing me how to put them into the bra. The prosthesis had to fit a particular way inside the bra. The woman helped me adjust the bra, securing the prosthesis snuggly. I pulled on my top and looked at my reflection in the mirror. A smile curled upon my lips.

"I say that you approve," the woman mentioned, smiling in the mirror.

"They look natural. It's amazing," I said breathlessly.

"We have a saying that Cancer might take a woman's breasts, but it won't take her dignity," the woman declared.

"I agree," I said, looking at the woman and smiling.

I emerged from the dressing room, and Mom looked at me with surprise.

"What do you think?" I said with a smile. Mom smiled. I think I made the right decision. The woman gave me the box, and I carried it out front to the cashier, then paid for it. Mom tried to pay, but I refused. It was vital to me that I paid for the prosthesis.

Dad stood up and looked at me.

"I wanted to pay because it's significant to me," I reasoned.

"You do not argue with me," Dad reasoned, putting his hands up in defense.

I smiled as I left the place and walked to the car, carrying the box. I know my parents have money, but it's the principle of the matter. I fought and won my battle. I waited six months to do this, and now I had a chance.