Understanding

Valeria

Monday came, and I went for my treatments. Cameron accompanied me this time. When I received treatments, I usually sat alone. You sit in a room with an IV inserted into your vein, watching the liquid medicine drip through the tube. I became accustomed to it.

I sat in a recliner as the nurse set up my treatment. Cameron sat next to me and watched.

"The treatment will last three hours. The doctor wanted to ease the aggression of the treatment to give your body a break," the nurse informed me.

I nodded as the nurse finished setting up my treatment. She turned on the machine and left. I sat in the chair, thinking about things. I did that a lot since I started the treatments.

"You seem unfazed with your treatments," Cameron mentioned.

I turned my head and looked at Cameron. "When I first started the treatments, I didn't understand how they would make me feel. After a while, I learned. Some days are better than others, while most days I feel horrible," I explained.

"So, why do you refuse to tell your parents and continue the treatments alone?" I asked curiously.

I looked at Cameron. "Didn't we discuss this already?" I asked.

"No, you gave me some lame excuse as a reason for not telling them. Now, what's the real reason?" Cameron questioned.

I looked at Cameron. "Do you want to know my real reason?" I asked.

"It would be nice," Cameron replied.

"Because it terrifies me to see the look on their face. Parents shouldn't bury their children," I answered.

Cameron reached for my hand and held it. "You aren't dying," he told me.

"You don't know that. No one knows when we'll die," I reasoned. I looked at Cameron, wearing my bandana, and smiled softly.

"I do know that because I know how strong you are. I know you're a fighter. If you weren't, you wouldn't go through with the surgery or surgery. I watched you battle every day. I refuse to listen to you give up," Cameron told me.

I smiled as tears fell down my cheeks. I never had someone fight for me.

"I know that your dad hired me to be your bodyguard, but I think we moved past employer-employee relationship," Cameron mentioned.

I looked at Cameron.

"I think we became friends," Cameron added, making me smile.

"Something we couldn't achieve when we were growing up," I mentioned.

Cameron chuckled. "Well, we were stubborn. So, I blame that," Cameron said, making me chuckle softly.

I sat there, looking at Cameron as the chemo dropped through the IV. I started shaking, and Cameron furrowed his brows.

"What's wrong?" Cameron asked.

"I feel cold," I answered.

Cameron let go of my hand and picked up a blanket on a table next to me. He opened it and placed it on me. I cuddled up with it as he sat back down in a chair.

"Better?" Cameron asked me.

"Much," I replied, laying back into the chair. Sometimes having someone with you makes you feel less alone.

******
Cameron

I sat there, watching Valeria. I know she had her reasons for not telling her parents. If it were my child, I would want to see if they were sick. There's nothing worse than someone keeping you uninformed.