A year later

Lacey

The past year had been challenging in every sense. I knocked on the bedroom door.

"Valeria?" I asked. I heard no response. I turned the handle to find the door locked. I knocked again. "Valeria, please open the door," I begged.

Vincent came upstairs. "Where's Valeria?" He asked.

"Our daughter locked herself in her bedroom," I answered.

"We don't have time for her insolent behavior," Vincent argued, becoming impatient.

"What do you expect me to do? Break down the door?" I questioned with an annoyed look.

Vincent rolled his eyes and knocked on the door. "Valeria, open the door," Vincent demanded. We heard nothing.

"How did that work for you?" I asked as Vincent gave me an unamused look.

Cruz came upstairs to see Vincent pounding on the door. "What's the issue?" Cruz asked.

"Valeria won't open the door or answer us," Vincent informed Cruz.

"You're joking, right?" Cruz asked.

Vincent gave Cruz a look we knew well.

"Okay, you're not joking. Don't kick open the door. Let me figure out a way to gain access," Cruz told Vincent, leaving and going downstairs.

My husband is the most impatient man ever. If Cruz didn't open this door, Vincent would kick it in.

*******
Cameron

I was outside, speaking to a Landon and Lexie when Dad came out. He walked over to us.

"We have a code red," Dad informed me.

I gave Dad a look and rolled my eyes. I followed him inside and went upstairs. I saw Vincent trying to open the bedroom door. I reach up and found the key, then opened the door, revealing Valeria sitting on the bed in her wedding dress, feeding Adam a bottle.

Valeria looked up at us. "Adam was hungry, so I wanted to feed him before the wedding," she told us.

"Why didn't you answer the door when your mother knocked?" Vincent asked.

"Because I wanted to spend a few minutes alone with Adam before the wedding," Valeria answered, cooing at Adam.

Valeria put the bottle down and burped Adam, then handed him to me. I took our son as he looked at me and smiled.

"You know, little man, you're keeping your mom and me from getting married," I said.

Adam smiled, revealing a few teeth. Valeria stood up as I left the room with Adam. Lacey and Dad followed me downstairs. Adam was our miracle baby who chose to come early. We put wedding planning on hold until we could bring him home.

Adam has his mom's fighting spirit. That was a plus.

********
Valeria

I looked at Dad as I stood in my wedding gown.

"You amaze me," Dad told me.