The next day

Valeria

I awoke, opened my eyes, and yelped, "Ack!" My parents ran upstairs to see Cameron crouched next to the side of my bed and me looking confused. I put my hand over my heart to steady it since it was beating ferociously.

"Do you know how long I had to wait for you to wake up?" Cameron asked me.

"Do you know you almost gave me a heart attack?" I questioned unamused.

Dad and Mom stood there, trying not to smile. I got out of bed as Cameron stood up.

"What happened to shake someone lightly to wake them?" I asked.

"I prefer to be unique," Cameron answered, smirking.

I smacked Cameron playfully, and he chuckled. Mom and Dad left and went back downstairs. Cameron pulled me to him and kissed me as I wrapped my arms around his neck. After a few minutes, we broke from our kiss, and he looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Have you been eating?" Cameron inquired.

"Yes, but it's difficult because my stomach shrank. Plus, the chemo altered my tastebuds. The doctor said that's normal, but I disagree," I informed Cameron.

"Well, we'll fix that. I heard you rang the bell," Cameron mentioned.

I smiled brightly. "It was awesome," I exclaimed.

"And I missed it," Cameron sighed. I looked at him. "But, I'm not missing your doctor's appointments."

I couldn't help but smile.

"Oh, I have to show you something," I said, walking away and over to a box. I picked it up and brought it over to the bed, setting it down. I opened it and pulled out a prosthesis, handing it to Cameron.

"What is this?" Cameron questions, feeling the prosthesis.

"That's one of my breasts," I answered as he looked at me with surprise. "I bought them until I have my reconstructive surgery."

"So, I'm playing with your breasts," Cameron mentioned, arching an eyebrow.

"Essentially, yes," I replied.

We started laughing. Cameron handed the prosthesis back to me, and I put it in the box, closing the lid. I sat down on the side of the bed, and he joined me.

Cameron noticed my head. "I see you have some stubble forming," he gestured at my head.

I put my hand on my head and moved my palm over it. "My hair is growing, but it'll be a while before it returns. The plus side, no more treatments," I said grinning.

Cameron smiled at me. He slid his hand into mine and held it. "Then we need to celebrate with a date," he suggested.

"That's the best celebration ever," I replied as Cameron leaned in and kissed me. I placed my hand on his cheek, kissing him back.

Eventually, we broke from our kiss and went downstairs to have breakfast. I sat down at the table as Dad placed a plate in front of me. I stared at the plate.

"I know it doesn't seem appetizing, but eat what you can," Dad advised me.

I sighed. Then Dad placed a half brownie on the table next to my plate.

"Eat your dessert first," Dad reasoned. That made me smile as I ate the half brownie, then started eating breakfast. I managed to finish all the food on my plate as Mom, Dad, and Cameron ate.

"Valeria, your appetite should return, but it takes a while," Dad reasoned.

"How long did it take before you felt better?" I asked Dad.