Happily ever after

Valeria

Cameron and I waited in a room as a door opened and a woman walked in carrying an African American baby. The woman from the adoption agency brought the little girl to me and handed her to me. I held her and smiled.

"We finalized the paperwork, and Amelia is your daughter legally and officially," the woman informed us.

"That means Amelia is ours," I questioned the woman.

"Yes," the woman answered, smiling.

I hugged our daughter and cradled her in my arms. Cameron ushered us out of the room and to the car. We walked to the back car door and opened it as I placed Amelia in her car seat. I put a blanket on her lap and handed her a rattle.

We got into the car and pulled out. We drove over to my parent's house. Once we pulled into the driveway, Cameron got Amelia out of her car seat and carried her inside as I followed them.

We opened the door as everyone saw us.

"Meet Amelia O'Brien," I announced to everyone.

Dad walked over and looked at Amelia. "Welcome to our family, Amelia," he said as we smiled. Amelia reaches out for Dad, and he took her from Cameron as Landon's daughter Lanie tugged on Dad's pant leg.

Adam walked over to Cameron and held up his arms. Cameron picked him up and held him. Lexie waddled into the room, expecting another one with Santino.

Kacey bounded into the room and stopped when she saw Amelia. "Oh, brother, not another one," she announced, making us snicker.

Lexie put her hands on her waist. "Young lady, we need to discuss your attitude," she told Kacey.

Kacey put her hands on her waist. "Papá Vincent and Papá Sergio said my attitude suits me," Kacey said defiantly.

Santino walked over and spoke to Kacey in Spanish.

"Si, Papá," Kacey said, saluting Santino, making us laugh.

We watched as Joe picked up Lanie, and Cruz took Adam from Cameron. Sergio picked up Kacey. I watched our fathers hold our children and smiled. Business is business, but family is family.

********
Lacey

Vincent sat down on the couch next to me and handed me, Amelia. I cradled her in my arms as she explored my face.

"Did you think we would have all this?" Vincent asked, referring to everyone in our house.

"I never expected to find love, let alone a family," I replied.

"Do you regret signing that contract?" Vincent questioned.

I looked at everyone as they talked and laugh. I thought about my time in the homeless shelter and meeting Rafe in the diner. A man conned me into accepting a job, thinking it was a modeling gig, but turned into a position where I didn't belong-a front for human trafficking where they planned to sell me.

It took a meeting and a contract to leave that world and fall in love. I looked at Vincent. "I have no regrets," I said, smiling.

"Neither do I, my love," Vincent replied, returning the smile.

********
Vincent

I spent time with my family when Cruz left the room. He returned a few minutes later and leaned over, whispering in my ear. The news I received displeased me.

I got up from the couch and left the room with Cruz. We went into the kitchen.

"Who is Julian Wright?" I questioned.

"He's the owner of Wright Industries. Not much is known about him since he's elusive. Julian conducts most of his business privately," Cruz explained.

I looked at Cruz. I heard chattering regarding Julian Wright but never met the man in person. He was a shrewd businessman, conducting acquisitions seamlessly.

"I want you to extend an invitation to Mr. Wright regarding the gala. It interests me to meet the elusive Wright," I said.

Cruz nodded, knowing my intentions. I plan a gala, but the birth of Adam altered the date. With my family situated and Valeria returning to the business, I moved forward with acquiring a business and selling the undesirables. Valeria became a force in her own right. My daughter was intelligent with the company. I taught her well.

"Do you want to tangle with a man that we don't know?" Cruz asked me.

I gave Cruz a look. "I don't tangle with anyone. I destroy the person if they cross me. It would be in Mr. Wright's interest not to cross me. I want him to understand this concept," I said, speaking in a ruthless tone.

Cruz nodded as he left the kitchen. Lacey walked into the kitchen and looked at me.

"It seems a new player is in town," I mentioned.

Lacey furrowed her brows. I gave her a look which she knew well.

"Vincent, our family is happy," Lacey warned me.

"I know and plan to maintain that. Business is business, but family is everything," I informed Lacey.

I've come to learn with businesspeople find ways to destroy you. They see your weakness and exploit it, but you maintain the perception of striking first. I planned on making sure Mr. Wright understood this concept.

********
Katherine

I collected my mail before going to my apartment. I unlocked my door and opened it. I closed it as I removed my shoes, then sorted the mail. Most were bills, then I came across an envelope addressed to me.

I opened it up and pulled out an invitation to a gala. I read through it, then sighed. I didn't understand why I received a call to a fundraiser hosted by Vincent Powers, but I suspected Dad had his hand in it.

My phone rang, and I looked at the caller ID, then answered it.

Did you receive your invitation?

"I have no interest in a gala hosted by Vincent Powers. That's your interest, Dad," I told my father.

Katherine, you do not deny a many like Vincent Powers. We don't need enemies. I expect your presence at the gala.

I stood there, feeling irritated.

Wear a gown and make sure you act correctly. Do not embarrass me as you did when you married that useless man.

"Cameron isn't useless. You disapprove of anyone that isn't to your standards. Fine, I'll attend the gala, then you leave me alone," I demanded, ending the call.

I held up the invitation and furrowed my brows. I haven't seen Vincent Powers since he helped end my marriage to Cameron. The man said little, if anything.

I meant what I said to my father. After the gala, I finished with him. He prefers control over my happiness. I detested his attitude. I wanted a life without the business world and freedom.

I have a feeling that that would come at an ultimate price with someone I least expected.