Thankful

Valeria

Cameron and I spent time together while I was on sick leave. It felt great not having to worry about treatments. Plus, with Thanksgiving and Christmas approaching, I had much to be grateful for in my life.

Landon and Quinn returned from their honeymoon and settled into a charming home. I had a chance to visit them and see the new house. I was happy for my brother because he deserved it.

Thanksgiving arrived, and Lexie hosted with everyone coming together to celebrate. You realize how thankful you are when you battle an illness. My hair grew back, and I had it styled into a pixie cut. I kept the bandana that Cameron made me. It was a reminder that Cameron made it out of love for me.

We gathered at Lexie's home, and Dad ordered me to relax when I tried to help with dinner. He wanted me rested before returning to work. I spent months lying in a bed without energy. I felt rested enough. We argued, Cameron interceded, and Dad won. I swear those two are conspiring against me.

I sat on the couch, curled up as Landon joined me.

"It sucks, doesn't it?" Landon asked me.

"I spent six months lying in a bed on and off because I felt like hell. I feel much better now," I replied.

"Dad worries about you," Landon mentioned.

"I know, but the doctor said my results look good, and after the new year, I can return to work. But Dad is hiring a new bodyguard for me," I said, sighing.

Landon chuckled as I shook my head. Kacey walked over and climbed in between Landon and me.

"What are you doing?" Landon asked Kacey.

"I'm a big girl and sitting with big people," Kacey told Landon. She looked at us, then herself. "Unkie Landy, I still small. What gives?" She held out her hands.

"Yes, Unkie Landy, what gives?" I teased Landon.

"Well, you need to grow big like us," Landon answered.

We watched Kacey grunt and squeeze her hands into balls while closing her eyes. She opened them. "No, I still small," Kacey sighed.

"Mi Amor, are you bothering your aunt and uncle?" Santino asked Kacey with his hands on his waist.

"Papá, I no bother Unkie Landy and Aunt Ria," Kacey answered, holding out her palms.

"Come pequeña, we need to clean you before dinner," Santino said, holding out his hand.

Kacey scooted off the couch and took Santino's hand as he led her away. I watched Santino with Kacey. Landon looked at me with concern. It's a difficult concept to know you can never bear children. Cameron doesn't have an issue with it, but I don't want him to sacrifice parenthood.

"Are you okay?" Landon asked me.

I sighed. "Yes, it's difficult to know you can't produce children," I told Landon.

Landon gave me a curious look.

"The strangest part is, I never thought about a family until I fell in love with Cameron," I mentioned.

Landon looked at me with surprise.

"When you're sick, the last thing you think about is having a family or falling in love. You don't even know if you'll live," I explained.

"I think it takes the right person to show you that. I know it did for me," Landon said.

"Is that why you went to rehab?" I asked curiously.