Festival

Valeria

I woke up and felt somewhat decent. Oh, who am I kidding? I felt lousy. When you get stuck in a house when you're not attending treatments, your spirits dampen.

I got up and took a shower, then dried off and dressed. I put on my bandana, then saw Cameron enter my bedroom and stand behind me.

"I see someone is awake," Cameron mentioned.

I sighed as I looked in the mirror. I had dark circles around my eyes, my skin was pale, and I lost weight.

"What's wrong?" Cameron asked with concern.

"It's stupid," I mumbled.

"What is?" He questioned.

"I miss dating, although I never dated," I answered with a confused look.

Cameron turned me slightly. "Are you telling me that you never went on a date?" He inquired, looking at me with surprise.

"It's not like I dated in high school, and Richard took me out to dinner. So, no, I never went on a date," I replied, looking at Cameron.

"How do you miss something if you never did it?" Cameron questioned.

"Good question. Never mind, I told you it was stupid," I said, dismissing the idea.

"Then we need to rectify that situation," Cameron informed me.

I looked at Cameron, surprised.

"The festival is still happening, and you need to get out of the house. We can kill two birds with one stone," Cameron suggested.

"Wait. Are you asking me on a date?" I asked, hoping Cameron was asking me.

Cameron reached for my hands and held them in his hands. "Valeria, will you go out on a date with me today?" He asked me.

"I accept," I replied, smiling.

"Good, now let's find you an outfit. Every woman should look their best and feel comfortable at the same time," Cameron mentioned, releasing my hands.

I stood there and watched Cameron look in the closet for an outfit. He pulled out a sundress and handed it to me.

"I think this would be a better outfit," Cameron mentioned.

I took the sundress, and he left to let me change my clothes. It took ten minutes to change outfits. I didn't realize how exhausting it is to change clothes. I sat down on the side of the bed when Cameron knocked on the door. He opened it and saw me sitting on the bed.

"Are you okay?" Cameron asked me.

"Yes, I had to catch my breath," I replied, inhaling deeply.

"Take your time," Cameron suggested.

I nodded as my breathing calmed. Chemotherapy exhausts your body, making you fatigued. When you're not sick, you're sleeping. You feel like a prisoner in your body. Your body that revolts on you and you can't stop it.

I looked down and noticed the flatness of my chest. I stood up and looked at the top of the dress. It didn't fit because I didn't have breasts-my brows furrowed.

"I can't wear this dress," I mumbled.

"Why not?" Cameron questioned.

"I look like a male wearing a dress," I answered, pouting.

Cameron's expression changed to an oh. I know what people would say it doesn't matter because I'm battling cancer. It matters to me. Cancer took my control, and I needed a little control over my life.