Recovery

Valeria

Two days later, they discharged me. The doctor gave me instructions to follow and make sure I cleaned the incisions. An orderly wheeled me to the entrance and brought me outside as Cameron pulled up in front.

Cameron got out of the car and helped me out of the wheelchair. I moved slower because of the stitches in my chest and under my arms. Cameron was gentle with me as he helped me into the back seat. Once I situated myself, he closed the door and got into the front.

"Are you okay?" Cameron asked me.

"Yes," I answered nodding.

He pulled away from the hospital and took me to the beach house. I tried not to move to keep the pain down. It didn't work with the car ride. We returned to the beach house, and Cameron helped me out of the car.

I had to be careful with my stitches so that I didn't lose any or pull them. Cameron got me inside and attempted to help me upstairs, but I wanted to sit down. He helped me to the couch, making me comfortable.

I watched Cameron lift my arms gently, placing pillows underneath each arm. That helped and I didn't pull on my stitches. He pulled out a folded piece of paper out of his back pocket.

"The instructions state to clean the area, re-apply gauze, and the wrap. That means you will shower; then, we patch you up," Cameron told me.

"Say what?" I asked, looking at Cameron strangely.

"You take a shower, and I will help you with your wound. What part didn't you understand?" Cameron asked.

"I don't want your help," I replied.

"Why not?" He questioned, looking at me suspiciously.

"It's embarrassing," I answered.

"It's not like a guy hasn't seen you naked. The last thing you should worry about is someone ogling you," Cameron responded.

"I prefer you not to look at me, and I will do it myself," I demanded.

"Suit yourself," Cameron said, tossing the paper on the coffee table and walking into the kitchen.

The truth is, I didn't want anyone to see me without my breasts. People think it's vanity, which part of that is correct, but the doctor removed a part of my body. I placed my hand on my chest and didn't feel my breasts.

I know people think it's ignorant of the way I'm acting, but no one understands how much it affects you. Tears fell down my cheeks as Cameron came into the living room and handed me a cup of tea. I wiped my face quickly.

"Sorry, I shouldn't cry," I said, getting my composure.

Cameron sat down in a chair and looked at me.

"The last thing you want to do is listen to me whine and cry about not having breasts," I mentioned, acting okay. I sipped my tea, avoiding a conversation with Cameron.

*******
Cameron

While growing up with Valeria, she competed with me. I like a good challenge, but this wasn't it. That's the first time that I saw how much this situation affected her.

"When do you start treatment?" I questioned.

"Next week. The doctor feels it's best if I begin quickly. She will provide an aggressive treatment cycle during the next six months," Valeria told me.

"You don't sound hopeful," I mentioned.

"It's difficult to feel hopeful when your life is falling apart. I know you wouldn't understand, and I don't expect you to, but it's hard knowing my behavior put me here," Valeria said.