Investigation

Cruz

I drove into Cedar Village and pulled into a parking spot in front of the real estate office. I got out of the car and walked into the office. I saw Bridget on the phone and made my way towards her desk. I waited for her to finish the call.

After Bridget hung up with the person on the other line, she looked at me. "Hi, Cruz. Can I help you?" Bridget asked.

I sat down in a chair in front of her desk. "The person that came to see you the other day, what name did they use?" I asked.

Bridget flipped through her appointment book. "Rick Haywood," Bridget answered.

"This Rick Haywood told you that Vincent referred him to you?" I questioned.

"That's what the man said, but Vincent usually calls me to inform me if someone is coming into the office. I found it odd," Bridget mentioned.

"That's because it is," I told Bridget.

"That's why I called you. Most people that visit our office are looking for vacation homes. The majority of residents don't stay all year long, returning to their homes at the season's end," Bridget explained.

I pulled out a picture from inside my suit coat and handed it to Bridget. She took it and looked at it.

"Is that the man that came into your office?" I asked.

"Yes, it is," Bridget answered, handing the picture back to me.

I took it and put it back into my pocket. "If the man comes back, call the police," I instructed, standing up. Bridget looked at me, speechless. I left the real estate office and looked around at the people in town. Vincent owned a majority of these businesses. Why would someone like Richard Hawthorne think a business owner wouldn't contact Vincent?

I pulled out my phone and made a call. It rang until someone picked up after the second ring.

"We have a problem," I said.

What's the problem?

"It seems Richard Hawthorne was the person, claiming that you referred him to Bridget's office," I answered.

I heard silence from the other end, which means Vincent wasn't happy.

I would like to know why Richard Hawthorne is inquiring about houses in Cedar Village.

I had a feeling and knew if I said nothing, it would piss Vincent off more.

Cruz? Vincent's tone became irritated.

"Richard is going after Valeria," I answered.

The other end went dead silent.

Find Richard Hawthorne and bring him to me. He wants to go after my family; I'll demolish him. Vincent had a calmness to his tone, which was a matter of time before he arrived in town.

"I'll find Hawthorne," I said, hanging up the phone.

******
Vincent

I finished with the games people played, regarding Valeria. Cruz confirmed my suspicions of Valeria's location. My daughter was sick and kept from me. I would deal with Hawthorne first, then deal with Cameron.

I picked up a glass statue and threw it against the wall, shattering it into pieces. Lacey walked into the living room, surprised. My anger was plausible.

"What's wrong?" Lacey asked me.

"Cruz called me and informed me that Hawthorne is going after Valeria," I answered.