Chapter 1.

Note to self: "Forget about the fast lane. If you really want to fly, harness your power to your passion. Honor your calling. Everybody has one. Trust your heart, and success will come to you."- Oprah Winfrey.

Once Upon a Summer

1.

You know that exciting but scary feeling of wanting something so bad that you promised yourself you would get it no matter what?

Well, that's how I feel all the time. I'm Emilia George, and I have a dream.

My parents and grandma raised me on a farm with two of my siblings, Ethan and Elena. I was taught never to give up and look towards the best future as hard as things were.

Finally, things started to get better when I turned fifteen. My mom got a great job as a journalist for the cities latest reports, making us move to the city. Dad turned the farm into a business and hired employees. Finally, we were in a stable position. After years of being homeschooled, my parents finally agreed to take me to Red Cross High, a private school in Mandeville, Louisiana.

"As long as you do summer school."

Those were the words they said as I jumped up and down, nodding in agreement. "More school? Yay!" I exclaimed with sarcasm; meanwhile, inner me was crying.

Conscious: Noooooo.

My summer plans cracked and shattered as soon as they said that. But I knew that things were getting better. The first week of school was okay, but the next was a disaster. I walked into the school cafeteria in my brand new blue plaid skirt that my mom had bought for me. I grabbed a tray of lunch, walking over to a table when Kimberly Clayton (the she-devil) stopped me in my tracks. "Hey Emilia, is that red stain on the back of your skirt part of the design?" She crossed her arms, asking me as the rest of her friends giggled behind her.

I quickly turned my head to see, and there it was, the vast stain plastered on my bottom. I shook my head and froze as my eyes widened in shock.

This can't be happening!

Seconds later, people were laughing and whispering about me saying things.

"Bloody Emilia."

"She needs diapers. Clearly, pads won't help."

"That skirt will never look the same."

"The dumb girl deserved it, and I hope that taught her not to compete with us." Kimberly laughed, walking away.

Compete?!

I wasn't trying to compete with anyone but just eat my lunch. I ran away, noticing that one of the students had purposely spilled their juice on the floor so I could slip and fall. The popular school queen's wish was granted, I slipped, and the tray that I was holding in my hands had somehow slipped out of them, flown up in the air and back on me, my face specifically.

Ugh.

I still couldn't believe this was happening. I held my tears back from falling as everyone mocked me.

God help me, please!

"Hey, take my hand." I looked up to see a tall boy with an honest smile standing in front of me. Although he extended his hand, and I hesitated for a second before taking it, he helped me up and straight to the girl's restroom. "Are you okay? Can you take care of yourself from here?" He asked me."N-no, I-I don't have a phone to call my mom." I sobbed, staring at the floor as I stood in a stall. My tears had already rolled down my cheeks.

This wasn't very comfortable, and thank you, parents, for not buying me a phone at age fifteen.

"It's okay. You can use my phone... here." He smiled, handing me his phone. Why was he helping me? Didn't he know I smelled like old fruit juice, and you know what? After calling my mom and telling her about my accident, she told me she was coming to get me. "Thank you," I said, avoiding eye contact. "I'll just wait in here until my mom comes to get me." He looked like he wanted to say something before he finally spoke. "Okay, are you sure you don't need anything else?" He asked.

I felt my cheeks heating. Why was this cute guy helping me? Was he an angel sent from God? "What's your name?" I looked up at him, asking. "Oh! It's Dylan." He looked at me, saying politely. "Emilia, right?" He asked me. I nodded with a smile. "I'll catch you later, Emilia." He winked before walking away.

You too, Dylan.

If only we had more kind, caring people like him. People are ready to help you no matter how dire the circumstances are.

The next day came when I found myself standing in front of the famous giant poster in our school, the Summer Camp poster. The night before, I had read about the advantages that this camp offered the winners and was immediately hooked in.

1. High school credits.
2. Great public performance opportunity.
3. Free scholarships and a chance into any Ivy League School.

Since then, I have stood in front of this poster every day and thought about how awesome it would be to go to camp this summer. But, unfortunately, I don't know if my parents would allow their daughter to go out into another city for a month. "Hey! Summer Camp 2016?" A chocolate-skinned girl asked as she stood next to me. I nodded, glancing up at my only chance to achieve my dream. "What's your name?" She turned to ask me. "Emilia," I said, turning to face her. She had a friendly, kind, bubbly attitude.

"Wow, nice name. I'm Chantel, and I've been dying to go there. Are you going to go?" She asked. "I don't know, but I hope so." I smiled with hope. "Why? My problem is how expensive it is, and I hear it's $1,500." She sighed. "Expensive, yea, that and my parents, they don't trust me out there alone," I explained.

"Hmm, that's sucks. What were you interested in doing?" She asked. I began to think about my chance to sing and write/compose. "A lot of things." I reached forward and touched the poster. This was the first step to my future, my dream. I was shocked when she put her hand next to mine on the sign.

"Yeah... me too." She smiled, causing me to smile back.

If only we had more friendly, happy, and kind people like her, people who make us smile during hard times or situations.

That all happened three years ago.

But I am thankful for everything that has happened in my life. I have a goal and a dream because of it.

Present Day

"Here I am for the third time," I said to myself. I placed my hand on the giant poster looking up. "Summer Camp 2019 ." I read. I wanted this so bad. I've begged my parents two times, and they've declined, but I was going to ask again because I had to get in.

Through my talents, I believe in a better environment, a community where everyone helps each other instead of pointing fingers and hurting each other. I know that I can't change the world, but I can make a difference. I want to help my family, friends, neighbors, and teachers.

So I won't give up; I won't quit. Summer Camp 2019, here I come.

Once Upon a Summer