Chapter 16.

Note to self: No matter what happens at the end of the day, true friends matter.

16.

"Don't you love dinner?" I asked Dylan.

"Mmm yea, better than my mom's foods." He blurted out.

"Haha ew, some food got on my face." I wiped off the potato particles from my right cheek.

Once Upon a Summer

"Sorry, sorry." He wiped his mouth.

I glanced over at Chantel who was in the kitchen.... cleaning.

"She doesn't ever rest does she?" I asked as Dylan glanced her way.

"Nope." He mumbled with chicken in his mouth.

"Okay, I need to do something." I stood up with all the confidence I had and walked over to the kitchen.

"Hey, when do you get to eat?" I stood there in the doorway asking her. She was in a dirty apron, and her hair was messy.

"After everyone's gone, and I've cleaned up." She said.

"So at 10 pm?" I guessed walking over to the counters to help.

"Yeah pretty much... don't help it's okay I've got this." She said.

"No... no, let me help it's the least I can do... you cook for us, clean for us and the least I can do is help. I've already finished my food anyways." I smiled.

"You're so kind... even to the ones that hurt you. Why?" She stood there looking confused.

"My father taught me to treat others like how I would want them to treat me," I explained.

"Hey! My father taught me that too." She laughed.

"It's the Golden Rule girl," I said grabbing the counter wipes.

"And it's an honest rule at that." Dylan joined in, grabbing a broom.

"Dylan? You're sweeping!?" I asked in surprise, he never did chores back at home.

"No, I'm crying." He laughed with sarcasm.

Conscious: That was a dumb question to ask.

"Thanks, guys... even though it's calling attention," Chantel said.

"Who cares... we don't give a damn," Dylan said.

"Yea." I agreed.

After a few minutes of cleaning Dylan put the broom away.

"I heard about what Kimberly and Vanessa did to you, I'm really sorry." He said.

"You don't need to apologize, they do that on a daily basis. I'm used to it." Chantel shrugged.

"It needs to stop, I can't believe I dated her, all because she was hot and I wanted to be popular." He explained.

"It's okay Dylan, you're gonna be popular through the competition, we're gonna work together and get credits for a free scholarship." Chantel encouraged him. It was sweet.

"What are you guys working on?" I asked them.

"We're dancing choreography for one of Bruno Mars popular hits, Finesse," Dylan explained.

I felt so happy for them, they both agreed on doing this project together.

"I wish we three could do a project. I'm alone, and to be honest, looking through old notebooks and diaries for a song isn't easy." I sighed along with a frown.