Chapter 42.

Note to Self: This is your chance, you can do it!

42.

Once Upon a Summer

"Ma'am! Ma'am? You need to go back there! You're about to perform in two minutes." The backstage manager yelled, following behind me as I went about, looking for Matteo in unlocked rooms.

I finally stopped and turned around out of the annoyance pressures on me.

"I can't perform without my partner! I can't."

"Ms. George, your partner is already backstage, he just got there. You need to hurry!" She said as we both ran back.

Matteo was already there and I didn't notice? When? How?

"Are you alright?" Matteo asked me.

"Yea I'm fine, I just can't believe that this is happening," I said, speaking out of breath.

I'm fine but the question is... are you alright?

He didn't look so sad and worried anymore. Perhaps it was because of the competition.

I took in a deep breath and let it out as I and Matteo stood behind the giant red drapes. Very shortly, we would perform and I couldn't be more ready.

"You can do this Mila," Matteo said, as he stood next to me. He was so calm. Meanwhile, I was shaking and my stomach felt like it was going to drop any time soon.

Conscious: You're ready but you're nervous? I don't understand you.

"We can do this," I said, grabbing his hand. His long, warm fingers joined with mine. Surprisingly, his palms were sweaty, was he nervous too?

"Your mom will be proud," I said along with a smile, hoping that would help him with the nerves.

"Yes, she would. But I'm not even doing this for her but for you." Matteo responded. I knew he was going to try his very best.

My smile widened as my thoughts went back to yesterday when he supposedly 'lied' to his father about using me to win the competition but he wasn't at all, Matteo just confessed to me that he's doing this for me.

"Can we say a quick prayer before we go out on stage?" I asked him.

"Of course." He nodded.

We both held hands and prayed before hearing the host introduce us out onto the stage.

"EMILIA GEORGE and MATTHEW ROZARIO!"

The drapes opened and people clapped as we walked out on stage. Matteo walked over to the piano as I stood at the center of the stage.

"Hola everybody. I can't believe I'm doing this, I can't believe I'm here. I've dreamt of this moment for a very long time."

I looked at everybody in the crowd. My friends were cheering and waving their phones, especially Dylan was also there watching me with a smile. He wasn't avoiding me after all as I thought. He had come to save me in that dark room. I wouldn't be up here if it wasn't for him.

"I want to make a difference in the world, this hurting world. People are dying, crying, and experiencing pain every second in a thousand different ways. My mum always sang me a peaceful song titled, Butterflies in the Rainstorm, one that drove away from my fear most times so I and my partner want to present it to you through our piano duet and my voice. Please be touched, and understand my message to this world."