Chapter 37.

Note to self: I get to determine how good or bad my day is.

37.

Once Upon a Summer

"What are you doing down here? Shouldn't you be at lunch?" He asked me. His Italian, harsh voice was thick and dark.

"I ate my lunch, sir, I just came down here to read." I let out a nervous, little laugh, meanwhile, I was dying inside. I had to tell Matteo, did he know that his scary dad was here?"

"I came here looking for my son. He's not in his cabin and he delayed lunch, have you seen him?" He asked me.

"Matteo sir? No-no I haven't seen him." I said, struggling to hide the heavy book behind me.

"Matthew, his name is Matthew." He corrected me in a harsh voice.

Whoa! Whoa! Matteo doesn't give a damn about which one of his names I choose to call him. Why should you?

"Sorry sir, he umm likes it when I call him by his birth name not his American one- "

"His name is Matthew." He cut me off saying in an even higher tone reminding me to never speak again.

Help mee.

Well, I see where Matteo got his rude, mean attitude from. In fact, everything. What the hell?

I didn't say anything but instead stood there as my body trembled and my fingers wobbled in fear.

"What book is that?" He asked.

Nooo. I'm doomed.

"It's just a book I found on the shelf sir. I wanted to read it, it seemed quite interesting." I smiled.

"Hand it to me." He extended his hand as I gave him the book.

"Books like this shouldn't be kept in the public library. Only the private one." He said, glancing at the book while inner me cried.

"He should be in the lake then." He said walking away.

"Looks just like Emilena." I heard him mumble.

Emilena, my mum's name.

He took the book, I knew something bad was coming. But thank God I still remembered the names.

Rozario, Clayton, Harper, Elliot, Lincoln, Mayers.

I repeated, running up the stairs to find Matteo when I saw Dylan sitting near the piano.

"Hi Emilia. Can we talk?" He asked me.

"Not now, I'm busy," I said, walking past him and towards the exit.

Rozario, Clayton, Harper, Elliot, Lincoln, Mayers. I repeated.

"See, this is why I never get the chance to tell you anything. You're going after him aren't you?" Dylan followed behind me asking. He was referring to Matteo.

I rolled my eyes before turning around to face him. I didn't want to talk to him now, why would he even want to talk to somebody who slapped him?