Chapter 35.

35.

Once Upon a Summer

Emilia woke up to birds chirping and the sound of morning wind. She couldn't believe it after tomorrow was the day of the competition. She couldn't express how she felt. It was a mix of excitement and fear.

She woke up stretching, looking around as she yawned. Nobody was there. She stared at the clock that read seven o'clock. She slept through the alarm of course and decided that she officially needed prayers. The girls must have gone ahead without her but why didn't they wake her up?

She shrugged as she walked into the bathroom, getting ready to brush her teeth when she nearly fell after glancing in the mirror. Her hair! It was cut!

"Ahhhh!" She screamed in horror, not knowing what to do. Black, sticky car petrol was all over the ends of her cut hair.

She stood in the shower, crying as she tried to rinse off the gasoline from her beautiful dark brown hair. It was more challenging than scrubbing a burnt pot. She tried scrubbing and emptied the whole bottle of shampoo that she had, but it was no use.

Who did this? She thought.

Her hair was cut short in different directions and smelled like car petrol. She couldn't go out there. Not like this.

Meanwhile, Matteo decided that he had to tell Emilia that he would be leaving the following morning after the competition. He knew that she would be heartbroken but she deserved to know.

He searched for her in the Music Room, library, and cafeteria. But she was nowhere to be found, except she was still sleeping? Matteo knew of Emilia's bad delaying habits and how she slept like a baby. If there was a burglary in the very same room she was sleeping in and everybody was getting murdered, she wouldn't shake an inch.

He knocked on the door of the guest lodge and stood there waiting for a few minutes but nobody responded.

He knocked again when he heard screaming from the upstairs. Thankfully, the door was open and he walked straight in.

"Emilia?" He asked, looking around. He ran upstairs to the Master Bedroom and immediately noticed Emilia's bed. It was the messy one. Emilia never had time to tidy up. She had a shy, messy, concerned attitude 90% of the time which Matteo thought was cute.

"Damn it! Damn it! Why won't it come off? Emilia cursed in the shower.

"Hey, are you alright? Can I come in?" He asked as he stood by the side of the door.

"Matteo?!" She asked, she was certain it was his voice but shocked as well. She didn't want to see him. Her hair was disgusting and her eyes were red from crying overnight.

She grabbed a towel and wrapped it around herself, telling him to come in.

"Oh no." He shook his head noticing her hair immediately."What happened?"

"I don't know, I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, I almost fell back. I'm so hideous now." Emilia cried. She was so tired of crying. She just wanted it to stop.

"When did trouble become my best friend?" She asked him.

Please Play: Favorite Part Of Me by Astrid S.