Chapter 21.

Note to self: Everything that's happened in life has happened for a reason.

21.

Once Upon a Summer

Please Play: Honest by Francisca Battistelli

I woke up at 8 am, it was bright but raining outside. I watched a small caterpillar struggle to crawl along the sides of my inside window.

I thought about last night. And how I told Matteo pretty much everything.

Last Night

"Now that you've heard my tragic, one-sided love story... tell me yours," I said.

"Well, I met Dylan at basketball practice. Some of the kids were laughing at me, calling me a skinny rich boy with a giraffe neck. And he was the only one that defended me."

Hahaha, giraffe neck?

"I know that being 6'0 at 13 wasn't average but, I know the shorter, broke kids bullied me for being the tallest. Dylan and the rest of them were about 5'8, 5'7."

This guy has been tall his whole life.

"I've transferred eight schools in my entire life but after meeting Dylan at Red Cross. I didn't want to be the "transfer student" anymore."

"We always hung out and laughed at the funniest drama in school. He was pretty much my best friend." His smile faded.

"Then what happened?" I asked.

This "movie" can't get any more interesting.

"We grew distant... Things changed Sophomore year when I had to change schools, and I moved across the city because of my Father's new business here in New Orleans and... as for him. He took my position as the Football Captain of the Red Cross. He became the "popular guy."

That made so much sense. I couldn't believe Dylan didn't tell me how much history he had with Matteo. They were actually best friends?

"I remember working hard, two years for that position and he just got it in two games. I don't even care anymore. Football is for jocks. I still come around to see every game since then. Like the last one. The guys still remember me, and call me "captain" but it's just for old times sake."

Wait...Which means...

Please Play: Make it Holy (instrumental) by The Staves.

My head went back to that very tragic night. When Madison and Vanessa threw their cold drinks on me, and I ran into the hallway to look for my brother.

Someone had helped me, saved me from whatever the football team was trying to do to me.... what that drunk guy at the bonfire Austin was trying to do to me.

I looked up at him in shock.

"Were you... the angel that saved me that night? In the hallway?" I asked him.

He tried to remember the last football game.

"I remember helping a lonely girl that was getting picked on. I told the guys to run off, then I asked her if she was okay."

Oh my gosh...  I've been wanting to find the person who saved me that night.

"You're my hero." It felt weird saying that. I had never expected Matteo to be the one that night... I didn't know he had a heart.

"Trust me, I'm far from being your, hero. But I'll always try to save you from whatever circumstances occur from this day-"

I gave him a huge hug, cutting him off as he immediately froze. He had no idea how much this meant to me.