Chapter 27.

Note to self: Love can be a confusing thing.

27.

Once Upon a Summer

I nodded. Trusting him with heart, my life.

We held our breaths and swam underneath, I felt some obsidian scrape against my back as I struggled to swim. I opened my eyes underwater. Everywhere was dark, nothing to see, just pitch black. It was exactly how I imagined, cold, quiet, and scary. No air, only water.

Keep holding on, trust him.

My heart was pounding, as I struggled to survive with the last bit of air in my lungs as they burned. I felt my limbs tangle as my ears filled with the sound of water. I began to thank God for air, for somehow making a way for plants to provide us oxygen. I also thought about Matteo. How was he doing this?

You're the only person I've got for right now, don't let me down. I'm trusting you with my life.

I felt his hand leave mine... No this couldn't be happening. This was a nightmare.

Where did you go? Please don't leave me, Matteo. Please! I can die here.

Suddenly I felt a freeway again, could I swim up? Finally, there was air to breathe I was out from underneath the wall.

I took in a deep breath. Still closing my eyes. Gathering my thoughts.

Had I just done that? Yesterday if he told me that we were gonna do this I would have refused immediately.

Soon I heard his heavy breaths, knowing he was close by.

Please Play: Strange Land by NIKI and other Artists.

"Open your eyes." He said.

When I did, I couldn't believe what I saw.

It was so beautiful. The way the bright light shined on the blue water. I looked up at the beautiful sky as the birds chirped and the butterflies flew around. I wondered what strange land we were in. Besides trees what was up there?

"We're through, you like what you see?" He asked me.

I nodded. I was in the clear, I laughed looking back at Matteo as the sun shined on us, his dark wavy hair pasted all over his forehead. We stared at each other, taking in our natural looks. He saw my mini freckles and eye bags, my long hair was pushed back thanks to the water. There's not much to hide from him anymore, I'd shown him more today than anyone in my entire life. He had mini freckles too but they were barely noticeable, and hazel blue eyes like mine he also had perfect soft pink lips. He was so.... beautiful. His character, mood, voice. Everything.

My stomach turned. Just thinking about it, why did I have this feeling?

What feeling?

I still didn't know yet.

"You took us to the mermaid caves from that creepy historical book didn't you?" I splashed the warm water on him.

"It's called a moon cave, and how did you know?" He chuckled, throwing waves of water back at me.

"I had a feeling all along, that's another reason why I was afraid... but it's not how I imagined, it's beautiful down here." I smiled.

"Don't tell me you actually thought there were mermaids down here." He swam towards the surface.

"No, but everyone makes this place seem so scary and cursed." I followed behind him.

"You know, on the night of the full moon. The moon shines directly in the middle, making the water boil. It's sort of magical." He explained. His muscles and biceps all flexed as he pushed himself up on the stone ground, he helped me up as well.