31

"The Elven Gate." Gandalf said, halting at the edge of the forest as the Company did the same. They milled about the entrance and were met with a small archway, fashioned with elegance out of grey bark from everlasting tree.

Thorin and Talia took in the gate's architecture from their position at Gandalf's side. Although the Elven Gate was beautiful, it was wildly unkept. Unruly vines wound all over the stone and further down the path, which was also masked by thick piles of leaves. When they peered into the forest, there was no sunlight to be seen. As the rulers knew well, the forest was sick. However, they had a deadline to meet; if Gandalf deemed the Elvish path safe, then they would have no choice but to trust him.

"Here lies our path through Mirkwood." The wizard continued, addressing the Company.

"No sign of the Orcs. We have luck on our side."

"Not luck, Dwalin, but a Skin-Changer." Talia replied, noticing her friend in the distance. "He has granted us safe passage through the plains."

"Set the ponies loose." Gandalf commanded, dismounting his own steed. "Let them return to their master."

But Bilbo wished he didn't have to do so. Upon seeing the forest for the first time, the hobbit was beginning to think Beorn was right about Mirkwood. "This forest feels sick, as if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around?"

Talia, however, was no longer invested in the conversation. Something else had caught her eye, and so she walked through the gate and entered Mirkwood. She felt as though she was in a trance, one that was pulling her closer and closer to the evil within the forest.

"Not unless we go two hundred miles north, or twice that distance..." Gandalf paused, seeing Talia move further into the forest. "South."

The wizard followed the Queen into the forest, narrowing his eyes at the sight before him. Talia stood before a statue overtaken by moss and vines. When she looked into the woman's eyes, she stepped closer, reaching a hand out. Although she did not know who the statue imitated, Talia could tell she had once been beautiful.

But Gandalf was more wary of the statue than Talia was. He knew that she had gained something more than scars during her time in Dol Guldur, something that bridged a connection between her and the darkness. As he watched her move, another voice filled his head, one that was also worried of the scene that was unfolding. The Lady of Light spoke to him soothingly, yet with a tone of great urgency.

Then, Talia pulled aside the vines to see a red eye painted on the statue, her fingers brushing the mark. She cried out as she stumbled back, her vision clouded with the symbol of the darkness itself.

Luckily, Thorin had rushed over and was ready to catch her. She fell into his arms, panting as she refocused on the present. Gandalf raced to her side, kneeling and meeting her eyes.

"What did you see?"

"Him." She gasped, nodding to confirm the wizard's suspicions. "I knew there was a nastiness festering in Dol Guldur, but it is clear to me now that it is far beyond the Necromancer." She paused, gathering her thoughts. "It is him. Our enemy has returned."

As Gandalf listened to her, he also heeded the instruction of the Lady of Light within his mind. Feeling her presence vanish, he nodded to Talia, knowing what he must do. "The High Fells. So be it."

Thorin helped Gandalf lead her back to the Company, following the wizard. The dwarves were almost finished freeing the horses, but they looked up from their work, shocked to see their Queen so debilitated. She had grown enormously pale, and sweat was beginning to form on her brow. Thorin's worry was palpable, and he would address it.