32

"This is not the end of it! Do you hear me?!"

"Let us out of here!"

Talia rolled her eyes at the theatrics of the Company, who were all being shoved into cells. At her side, Thorin found himself wishing he could do the same. There was a reason Dwarves were considered daft; their stubbornness often overruled their wits. But it mattered not, for the Company would not be escaping the Woodland Realm unless the Elves wished it. The King and Queen watched the useless battle before them, sighing as their guards held their arms to their backs.

But another encounter caught Talia's eye as she watched Kili enter a cell. Of course, the cruel redhead, Tauriel, was the one who had been tasked to accompany him, which made Talia growl. However, Kili was not sharing the same discontent as his aunt. She listened in on their conversation, her curiosity overcoming her politeness.

"Aren't you going to search me? I could have anything down my trousers."

"Or nothing." Tauriel smirked back, ignoring the Dwarf's cheeky statement and walking off.

Talia could not believe her eyes. Here they were, being imprisoned by the Elves who continuously disrespected their kind, and the Dwarf prince himself was flirting with his captor!

When Thorin heard her gasp, he thought someone had died. "Mahal, Talia, what is it?"

"Damn our nephew."

Thorin looked up at the She-Elf as she walked past, seeing the ghost of a smile on her lips. Kili also wore a grin in his cell, moving away from the bars once Tauriel was gone. Thorin glanced at his wife, who only nodded intensely with pursed lips.

"Yep."

Thorin rolled his eyes. Now Talia was the one being dramatic. "He doesn't know any better."

"Really? Then why is she so happy?"

"Perhaps she's never seen a Dwarf with a bow."

"Or a Dwarf that flirts back." Talia scoffed, shifting her weight despite the presence of her guard. "If he was a woman, I'd call him a whore."

Thorin had to stifle his laugh before Legolas returned, leaving his small conference with the She-Elf. Surely, the prince recognized them now, for Tauriel had been the one to recognize Talia.

"Bring them to the throne." Legolas commanded the guards, barely sparing the pair a glance. "My father wishes to meet them."

As Thorin and Talia were led up from the dungeons, they exchanged a glance. The Company was throwing themselves at the bars of their cells, trying their hardest to break them down. Yet Balin saw the pair leave, and he knew that they were their chance of escape. The false hope that the bars would magically break would get the Company nowhere.

"Leave it! There is no way out!" The advisor sighed, leaning against the wall in defeat. "This is no Orc dungeon! These are the Halls of the Woodland Realm. No one leaves here, but by the King's consent."

Thorin and Talia could hear Balin's words echo throughout the kingdom as they were led through the halls. The passages were not built of stone; instead, steps carved into the wood of massive trees supported their journey. Similar to Rivendell, the lights that scattered the high ceilings were angelic. But in a way, they also gave the illusion of an ever-watchful, unnerving presence. Maybe it was because Thorin and Talia both hated these Elves beyond belief, but the Woodland Realm seemed to be the most sinister place their Company had been to yet.

When Legolas finally took them to the throne, he stepped aside, going back to the dungeons to monitor the other Dwarves. The King and Queen were left to conference with the Elf-King alone, which they did not deem wise in their minds. They doubted they would need arms to kill the bastard where he stood, considering the anger coursing through their veins.