Closer to the Edge

~Catie's POV~

  After Heechul left I stood there at the garden just starring into nothing. The sun had already completely set but there was still a certain glow in the sky. It was getting colder by the minute, so I got up to my feet and made my way to Donghae's room.

"Heechul is right. I can't give up. So what if Hae has no memories? I still have mine. I'm not giving up on him. We'll get through this together, Hae and I."

  I smiled like a child and stopped just outside of Hae's room. I was about to open the door when I heard voices coming from inside. Donghae was with someone, a girl.

- Don't you remember me, Hae?

- Of course I do, Jess. We've been friends for years. How would I forget?

  I heard the sound of high heels on the marble floor of the room. I opened the door just a crack so I could see inside. Jess was making her way from across the space to where Donghae was standing, near the window.

- There was a time when we were more than just friends. You haven't forgotten that, have you, oppa?

  Her voice was low and sexy and she was moving towards him in a suggestive way.

"Ani. Don't do it. Hae, back away. Don't let her!"

- I haven't, no. But, Jess...

  She just got closer and kissed him. At first I froze but then I started to back away, little by little. I thought he would pull away from her immediately, but he didn't. He held her close and kissed back.
  I couldn't bare the sight and so I turned to run, but my bag must have hit the door and it opened wide, revealing my presence to the two of them. The door smashed against the wall of the room and they separated at last, looking at me with confusion. I knew Jessica was starring at me - She didn't know about me and Hae, there were few at the company who did - thinking about why I was so upset. I knew she was there, but my ind could only focus on Hae, making me look at him with tears and disappointment in my eyes.

- Catie ssi?

  He was confused. I could see that there was a part of him that knew I had all the reasons to be upset but his brain wasn't able to process that. To him, at that moment, I was mostly a girl, a manager, behaving in a weird way and barging into his room.
  Looking at him and not seeing the man I loved looking back at me... I just couldn't take it anymore. The tears I'd been holding inside finally fell down my face. Seeing that, Hae took one instinctive step towards me. I could have interpreted that as a good sign that some small part of him recognized me and my pain, but I couldn't at that moment. The pain was too much.
  I swallowed my tears and spoke with my most arrogant voice.

- Sorry to interrupt. My bag must have knocked the door opened. I'll close it again for you, Donghae ssi.

  I bowed and turned around closing the door on his face as he walked towards me. I walked down the hall until I felt someone grab my wrist. I looked back and Donghae was there.

- Catie ssi...

  I pulled my hand hard and removed it from his.

- Don't touch me.

  Now I wasn't calm anymore, I was panicking. My gesture was sudden and anger filled. He felt it, more than I intended.

- Catie ssi, I can explain.

  I smiled coldly at him. Again, my bitch side was emerging. I didn't care.

- Explain what? I'm nothing to you, Hae, not anymore. So why the hell would you even try to explain anything to me?