⋆1⋆

For as long as I can remember, I have lived in a tower

For as long as I can remember, I have lived in a tower. It was not exactly a tower, but since it was four stories with small rooms, I started calling it a tower. It was not a tower like the one Rapunzel lived and I'm not a fairy tale princess, and I was sure that I will never have a happy ending. I don't even have any idea how I will live this life, this lonely life. I never set my foot out of my small tower-like habitat and I don't have any idea what was on the outside. And no one in the world had any idea of my existence.

I never asked my parents why I need to live in this locked area, but they told me everything that I needed to understand their point. They explained it every time they visited. They said that I was born different. My parents told me that I'm special and because of that I can't leave the tower. So, I'm kept hidden. A simple answer and I never complained. You know, most of the parents have this huge thing in their minds called "protect my children at any cost". And in my case, it's staying inside this tower of mine. All to protect me.

I lived in my parent's room till I was three. I played, ate, and slept there. I always wonder why I never tried to go out of that room at least once. Anyway, I won't be getting any kind of chances like that anymore.

One morning, I woke up in a different room. But I didn't scream like other children. Instead, I walked around and examined everything in here.

The room looked enormous for a three-year-old girl. But one thing was clear to me, I wasn't going to leave the room.

EVER...

Okay, it sounds more dramatic. But what can I say, sometimes my whole life seems like a drama to me.

My parents wanted me to live here, where no one would find me. So... I don't have any choice, do I?

It took me two days to understand that there were other rooms in here where I could go. The room above mine was smaller than my room and was filled with books, which I called my library. No girl of my age will have a library, only for them. Maybe, some princess from the fairy tales that line the shelf might have one, but they are not real. And yeah, these are some perks of living a lonely life.

The one above that was smaller than the previous one and was occupied by a table and a chair. I started calling that the reading room. The one above that was smaller and was empty. But there were small slits in the wall which looked like windows but were higher than mine.

But I saw the sky...

My first glimpse of the outer world.

And I started calling it my gallery. Like an art gallery.

From that day, I went every day and night to the window to look at the sky.